Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mounting Wico Trackball  (Read 2629 times)

marcopolo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2011, 02:11:53 am
  • Life's a ---smurfette---
Mounting Wico Trackball
« on: November 28, 2002, 10:05:16 pm »
How do you mount a Wico trackball to a 3/4" wood control panel?  I don't see how it's possible without a mounting kit similar to the one sold by Happs.

Marco

Smack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2013, 11:40:41 pm
  • Who changed my avatar?
Re:Mounting Wico Trackball
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 10:38:41 pm »
What size trackball do you have?

My 2 1/4 Wico was pretty easy to do. I routed out the back of the wood and used a large bit (like for cutting out a doorknob hole). I had to hack some small pieces off of the plastic off of the trackball housing to get it to be flush.

As for a 3inch one, I haven't got a clue. ;D

Smack
Never Let Donkey Kong Use Your Toilet.
(We're talkin' big processed brown bananas...)

Somebody out there stole my sig! LOL

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 01:23:28 am »
For my 3" imperial I cut a hole the size of the trackball case. Then from inside the top half of the case I screwed into the edges of the hole I cut.
The only problem is the vinyl overlay shows the edges of the trackball case more than I'd like it to. You can download templates of what the trackball mounting plate is and if your good with metal or have a friend you can make one.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2002, 07:11:23 am »
For my 3" imperial I cut a hole the size of the trackball case. Then from inside the top half of the case I screwed into the edges of the hole I cut.
The only problem is the vinyl overlay shows the edges of the trackball case more than I'd like it to. You can download templates of what the trackball mounting plate is and if your good with metal or have a friend you can make one.

That sounds like a good and cheap method. Phase 2 of that could be to add wood filler and sand before you apply your overlay and I bet you'd never see the seams.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

marcopolo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2002, 12:07:59 pm »
Wow, now i know why most people buy Happs with the mounting kit.  

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2002, 03:33:39 pm »
Well the mounting kit is actually harder in my opinion. You still need to cut the hole which isn't as critical anymore but you also need to route a lip for the plate to sit into to and that is very critical to get exact and hard to hide if you screw it up.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2002, 06:02:25 pm »
I used a trackball mounting plate with my wico.  I plan oon geting the screwless one from happ sometime.  Check out the pics on my site.

marcopolo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2002, 10:50:09 pm »
Do most of you who have a Wico TB mount it by screwing through the plastic case into the side of the wooden control panel, making the top of the control panel flush with the top of the trackball's plastic housing?

Marco

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2002, 11:13:31 pm »
Do most of you who have a Wico TB mount it by screwing through the plastic case into the side of the wooden control panel, making the top of the control panel flush with the top of the trackball's plastic housing?

Marco

I used a mouning plate from Happs.

Coming Soon