Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Panel layout help  (Read 1655 times)

cdbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
Panel layout help
« on: November 28, 2002, 08:19:20 pm »
Hi all,

Could somebody provide a link or some measurements of an NBA Jam type control panel.  I am mostly interested in the spacing between the players, where the joysticks are placed and the buttons in relation to the sticks.  I know that all the joysticks are orientated in the same direction and that the player on the left has the joystick forward of the buttons.  Middle players have the buttons next to the stick and the player on the right has buttons forward of the stick.  I have seen a panel overlay but it doesn't show where the button or stick holes are going so it's hard to work out.

Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers
-cdbrown

s8n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2003, 06:12:12 pm
  • The Prince of Darkness
Re:Panel layout help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 08:59:50 pm »
i would suggest placing the buttons/js where you feel comfortable with them.

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 09:16:28 pm »
Mmmm, thanks (sort of).  

I have the layouts for the middle two players sorted (which will be one of my spots) the outer two are concerning me a little.  I remember player the NBA games and not feeling uncomfortable with the layout they had.  I was hoping someone might be able to direct me to one.

I originally planned on having the outer players angled towards the screen but then it would be wierd for nba games as you push forward on the stick you move back on the screens sort of like joystick push / man moves | .  If i have all the joystick orientated the same way then pushing up in the same direction on all sticks will make the players all move back into the screen.  The ideal would be to have the layout the same for each player but this would make the panel very large indeed.  So the nba games got around this by moving the joysticks in a different spot for the outer players reducing the overall width.  Now that's what I'm aiming at.

So I would like to make it like nba layout because I know it fairly comfortable and is more realistic that way.  Just wish there was one nearby to take a tape measure to :'(

Thanks anyway though
Cheers
-cdbrown

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2002, 01:53:44 am »
http://www.geocities.com/brian_coney/maincabinetpage.html

This dude might have exactly what you are looking for.thanks for playing ;)

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2002, 02:07:41 am »
Thanks Snaaake,

That site was probably one of the first I looked at but unfortunately he has gone for the angled layout on the outside 2 players.  Hopefully I might be able to come up with something this weekend.

Cheers
-cdbrown