Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: software to manage entire album mp3 downloads  (Read 9333 times)

EYEOPR8R

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2005, 01:02:37 pm
  • I'm a llama!
software to manage entire album mp3 downloads
« on: November 28, 2002, 12:16:06 am »
 ???If I have downloaded an mp3 file from, say, winmx, and the entire album is downloaded all at once, is there any way to later split this entire file into the individual cuts, for purposes such as chosing only certain cuts from the album to be burned to an audio cd, and also for purposes of accessing ID3 tags directly over the internet for the individual cuts on the album.  So far in my search of the net, I cannot find a way to do this, which would exxentially mean that I willl have to go back and download every single mp3 album that I already have in a song by song search and download, so that I can access each cut at a time for later burning, etc. SOMEONE please tell that this isn't so.  Thanks ??? ???

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
Re:software to manage entire album mp3 downloads
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 12:39:41 am »
I don't think there is any software available, hence the reason why most people rip individual albums.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 01:59:39 pm »
I use Sound Forge XP Studio 5.0 by Sonic Foundry.

First I Normalize the whole thing. Then Cut pieces one at a time from the end and Paste to New (CTRL-E) them. After that you Save As the correct name.

The reason I start at the end and work backwards is for speed. Cutting from the end takes almost no time. Cutting from the start takes quite a while.

You can use CDDB to look up the track names.

There are programs that will do it for you but none I've ever tried have worked correctly. The closest I ever came was the software in Easy CD Creator 4 which records your whole take or album and then give you the option of chopping it up. Some songs didn't get cut and some got cut into too many pieces.
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

EYEOPR8R

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2005, 01:02:37 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 02:24:37 pm »
I use Sound Forge XP Studio 5.0 by Sonic Foundry.

First I Normalize the whole thing. Then Cut pieces one at a time from the end and Paste to New (CTRL-E) them. After that you Save As the correct name.

The reason I start at the end and work backwards is for speed. Cutting from the end takes almost no time. Cutting from the start takes quite a while.

You can use CDDB to look up the track names.

There are programs that will do it for you but none I've ever tried have worked correctly. The closest I ever came was the software in Easy CD Creator 4 which records your whole take or album and then give you the option of chopping it up. Some songs didn't get cut and some got cut into too many pieces.
I can't thank you enough for taking time to answer my post.  I am not familiar with the terms "normalize" and "paste to new" yet, but I assume that when I use sound forge, that I will learn what these mean exactly.  Thanks again, Ralph

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 08:04:23 pm »
Sound forge can cut them up but your going to have to manually tell it where to cut and manually name each track which is what you were trying to avoid doing.

In my opinion its faster and easier with a broad band connection to just get the individual tracks. Queue up all the songs you want in winmx and let it run for a couple days.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 08:22:51 pm »
But then you get several bit rates and different volume levels. And that is harder to fix.
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2002, 11:09:35 pm »
Okay, I bought this shareware a long time ago, it worked pretty good at the time. There has been a lot of revisions since then and I haven't updated......but this program detects the "silence" between the tracks and will split it automatically.  There are controls to tweak this, or you can do it manually as well if I remember correctly.  Check it out:

http://www.unrelatedinventions.com/Audiotools/

Good Luck.

ArcadeFX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2004, 11:16:56 pm
  • All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back!
    • ArcadeFX
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2002, 11:50:09 pm »
I use mIRC to get all my mp3s. I only usually only get full albums unless my kids want a particular song.  I get everything from mp3passion on Undernet.  Using any of the other programs to get individual mp3s sucks becuse you have to get a few songs from this guy and a few form the next usually at different bit rates.  Getting full albums at a time is very easy with mIRC.  All at excellent quality/bit rate.