Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Stupid Q: panel clamps  (Read 1822 times)

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
Stupid Q: panel clamps
« on: November 27, 2002, 05:54:27 am »
OK, maybe I'm not seeing something here.. I was thinking about using panel clamps for my swappable CPs, but there is one thing that bugs me: Can I use these to secure my CPs to the CP box?  How do I latch and unlatch the clamps with the CP in place? Or are these for securing your CP box to your cab?

Just now getting around to making my CPs and I'm trying to decide on a workable solution for both, actually (CP -> CP box and CP box -> cab).  Helllp.  :P

k-spiff
k-spiff

hyiu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
Re:Stupid Q: panel clamps
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 09:11:02 am »
if I understand your question correctly....

when everything is attached (in place), how do you reach the panel clamps to detach the cp ??... try open the coin door and put your hand (and arm) in the cab and reach in ?!?!....

for the cab I did before, I have a keyboard drawer... so, I pull it all the way out and I left a hole there for me to reach in to detach the control panel....

btw, I use 4 panel clamps and its rock solid !!... used the ones from Happs.... very expensive... but good quality....

hope it helps....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

Darkstalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2010, 12:55:36 am
  • A legend in my spare time...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 01:41:41 pm »
I'm actually going to use a hinges in the front so when your facing the cab like you are going to play, the far side of the control panel will swing up towards you.  You just have to pick hinges that you can take the pins out of, and you can swap panels that way.

Sounds a lot easier than trying to reach around blindly inside your cab and accidentally tug some connections loose when you're trying to open the clamps. JMHO though...
Still in the collecting parts and ideas phase of cabinet building.

kspiff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2002, 05:27:41 am »
OK, that answers my question.  As expected, the panel clamps can't be released if I put them inside the control panel.. my design won't have any access to this area.. but I can use them to hold the whole panel (box and all) onto the cabinet as I can detach them through the keyboard drawer.. but I dunno, maybe I can work out something more solid (considering the entire box would rarely need to come off)..

That was my second choice for the swappable panels: to attach hinges at the front and a cam lock at the top.. just might be a hassle to unscrew the panel to swap it.

k-spiff
k-spiff

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2002, 10:21:19 am »
It seems like hinges would be a pain to line up every time. My control panels are heavy enough and fit in nicely so that I rarely latch them down. They also fit into the cab on 3 sides and I use little wooden blocks on the bottom for the 4 direction.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

madk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2017, 04:59:49 pm
  • I actually am a llama!!
    • Digital Something
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 12:48:51 pm »
My cp is pretty hefty too.  If does have hinges on it to get into the box but to attach it to the cab I used good ol' velcro.  You'd be surprised how strong that stuff is.  It hasn't moved at all...not even during my intense Street Fighter matches.
Matt (mad-k)

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2002, 08:58:29 am »
see if the followings can help....

if your control panel is a box.... maybe you can consider making a hole in the bottom so that you can access the panel clamps... (that's what I ended up doing...)

if you're planning on swapping cps (I'm also thinking about that... no solid plans... but want to keep my options open...)

if you're planning to swap the WHOLE cp box, then its a LOT to build for each panel.... (wood-wise...) but if you only swap the top piece.... MUCH easier.....

I would say if you're doing swapping panel... you should try avoid needing screwing / unscrewing..... first... its hard to align screw positions.... and second.... screwing and unscrewing on wood takes a toll on the wood... after like 10 times (or more...) the screw holes will be messed up....

anyway.... you don't really need a complete open bottom to unlatch the top piece... just a hole big enough for a hand (plus some room...)  

I have been VERY busy lately at home.... if not, I could post a couple of pics with my un-finished CP box so that you could see....

hope it helps....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

wee beastie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2003, 03:33:02 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2002, 09:42:41 am »
I use 2 good strips of velcro (one on each side of the control panel.  That holds it in place nicely.  For added strength, I use some locks I got from lowes.  I just used those locks that you see on someone's back porch door or bathroom stalls.  You know, the locks that you lift and slide the latch over, then drop it into the notch.

Darkstalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2010, 12:55:36 am
  • A legend in my spare time...
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2002, 01:50:28 am »
Actually, I was talking about pulling the pins out of the hinges.  Lining them up won't be a big issue, it's just a matter of putting the control panel in place, make sure each side of the hinge is lined up, and slide the pins in place.

Another idea I was kicking around is making slide in removable panels.  There would be a door in the front of the panel with a lock.  Once you open the lock, the front board would swing down, and you can slide the panel out.
The sides of the panel box would have two channels for the control panel to slide in far enough to allow the front door to close and be flush with the front edge of the control panel.

A lot more work, but really sweet if I could pull it off.  I was even thinking about making a rack on the inside for "spare" panels, and rigging up DB25 connections that also slide into place when you insert different panels so you don't have to worry about plugging and unplugging wires.
Still in the collecting parts and ideas phase of cabinet building.

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2002, 10:10:02 am »
I have no panel clamps, hinges, locks or catches on my removeable CP.

I have wood blocks and a tight fit.

So far no one has dislodged a panel during play.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility