Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: T-Molding  (Read 1777 times)

D_nose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2002, 11:57:13 am
  • I'm a llama!
T-Molding
« on: November 26, 2002, 12:02:46 pm »
I used 5/8 Part. Board, what kind of bit do i use for the T-molding?

Thanks In Advance
« Last Edit: November 26, 2002, 12:03:01 pm by D_nose »

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:T-Molding
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 12:06:13 pm »
probably a slot bit, same if it were 3/4" but the depth adjust accordingly... don't forget to account for plexi/lexan thickness you may or may not be putting on top when considering where to put your t-molding slot...

search the forum for t-molding for more info...

good luck

rampy

D_nose

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2002, 11:57:13 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 12:27:56 pm »
I have seen people use a 1/16" slot cutter for 3/4" , but still searching for 5/8"????
Thanks

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 12:38:49 pm »
All t-molding uses the same slot width. 1/16" works great for a friction fit and 1/8" will work if you use hot glue.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2002, 10:35:48 pm »
It doesn't matter if the wood is 5/8" or 3/4" You'll be using the same 1/16" slot cutting bit. All ajustments (depth and centering) are done with the router or laminate trimmer. Actually, you can't really control the depth of the slot with the exception of buying larger or smaller bits. The depth doesn't matter anyway. Your main concern is ajusting the router table so that it centers the slot perfectly. Plan on spending about 20 to 30 bucks because you also need to buy the arbor that the bit attaches to.  1/16" slot cutting bits are not as common as 1/8" so you'll have to go to a woodworking specialty store like "The Woodworkers Warehouse" or equivilent. Forget about Home Depot. There are places online to buy them too. Do a Google search. Even with a 1/16" bit, you might want to have a hot gluegun on hand because unless you have the steady hands of a robot you will tend to tilt the router without even knowing it thus making the slot a little too wide in spots. This is where the gluegun comes to the rescue.  When going around corners with t-molding you will need to put little V-notches in the plastic (the part that clips and holds the t-molding in the slot). If your cabinet has sharp 90 degree corners or even fairly tight rounded corners I recommend notching.
This should be more then enough info to get you started ;D
S.M.
"Sinistar has bad breath"

shaunti

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2003, 11:39:38 am
    • www.arcadiasystem.com
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2002, 10:51:34 pm »
www.T-Molding.com sells the bit, if that's what you are looing for.
Looks like Mama raised a Mamer.

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2002, 11:16:44 pm »
Oh yeh thats right. They also have a double sided trimmer that you just run down the edge after its applied and it trims any overlapping edges to a nice flush edge. Overlapping will occur as a result of an uncentered slot. Makes a nice mistake fixer. ;)
"Sinistar has bad breath"