Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Ultimate Spinner Dilemma  (Read 1350 times)

marcopolo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2011, 02:11:53 am
  • Life's a ---smurfette---
The Ultimate Spinner Dilemma
« on: November 26, 2002, 11:26:04 am »
My research tells me that there are basically two types of spinners available:
1. Happs controls $125 geared or friction type (does not spin freely) perfect for Arkanoid and pong games
2. Oscar Controls $40-60 free spinning type perfect for Tempest, Tron, etc.

I play 80% arkanoid and 20% other spinner games.  I am tempted to get the Happs Spinner but it's way over-priced.  I would feel more comfortable buying it if I knew it would work well with more than just Arkanoid.  

Can someone who has played with the Happs spinner offer some advice - will it work "well" with more than just Arkanoid.
 - - or conversely - -
Can someone who has played with the Oscar controls spinner tell me if it works well with Arkanoid (please let me know what model of Oscar you are using)...

Thanks in advance,
Marco

gnateye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 11:22:36 am
  • 4 cabs and counting!!!
    • natty's arcade
Re:The Ultimate Spinner Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 12:32:34 pm »
i use and oscar model 1 usb and an oscar pro usb, both work perfectly for arkaniod and tempest and all the other games that use a spinner, you adjust the sensitivity in the mame menus which takes care of any discrepencies between games 8)

Brad Lee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 11:39:04 am
Re:The Ultimate Spinner Dilemma
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2002, 05:54:15 pm »
I happened to grab a Omega Race cp with the spinner.. BUT the spinner was the older pot type, so I've yanked the pot, and will be ordering from Oscar's just the encoder wheel and optics module(total about 15$)