Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wico Trackballs  (Read 1981 times)

marcopolo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2011, 02:11:53 am
  • Life's a ---smurfette---
Wico Trackballs
« on: November 24, 2002, 11:07:31 pm »
I would like to use the Wico 2 1/4" trackball on my first MAME cabinet.  I have two questions and would appreciate any feedback..

1. What is the difference between the "Active High" and "Active Low" model trackball?  Which should I get if I am using an Optipac?

2. I am choosing the Wico trackball over the Happs Model mainly due to price (about $60 less).  Is the Wico similar in performance to the Happs, or is it definetely not the same quality / feel as the more expensive Happs?

any advice is greatly welcomed.

Mark

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
Re:Wico Trackballs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 05:25:19 am »
I would like to use the Wico 2 1/4" trackball on my first MAME cabinet.  I have two questions and would appreciate any feedback..

1. What is the difference between the "Active High" and "Active Low" model trackball?  Which should I get if I am using an Optipac?

Both work with optipac; you just change a jumper on the optipac board.  IIRC, all the new 3" are active LOW, so you might want that model 2 1/4".  But does not matter, really.

2. I am choosing the Wico trackball over the Happs Model mainly due to price (about $60 less).  Is the Wico similar in performance to the Happs, or is it definetely not the same quality / feel as the more expensive Happs?

I don't have a 2 1/4" happs, but the wico 2 1/4" is solid arcade quality.   (BTW, Wico and Suzo 2 1/4" trackballs are the same thing.)  Someone who has tried both will know more, though.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Superdude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2016, 11:53:48 am
  • Mo' Betta Butter with da Betta Playa'
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 12:18:22 pm »
Why not go 3 inch imperial with ps2?  Only 38 bucks on ebay.  I bought mine here and it works great!

BTW you dont need a optipac for it.  Just plug in and go!

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 02:24:12 pm »
I bought 2 imperials off ebay for $22 a peice. Its a pretty good ball. My only complaint is that its not sensitive enough but I've got a fix for that by replacing the encoder wheels with ones that have more holes.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

gtjoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2006, 05:06:20 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 02:48:20 pm »
What encoder wheel did you use?  How many teeth?

I was going to replace the imperial encoder wheel with some printed on a transparency using the EncoderPrinter utility at http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade_downloads.shtml#Utilities

I wonder if the improved Oscar encoder wheels would work as replacements

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 03:18:03 pm »
I'm not sure of the number of spokes. I got the encoder file from another poster here at BYOAC. My first attempt at printing them didn't work, I think I used to thin of a transparency as it wouldn't stay flat. I haven't gotten around to trying it again.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.