Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: KE 72 Configuration  (Read 2875 times)

Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2002, 06:19:46 pm
  • I'm a llama!
KE 72 Configuration
« on: November 22, 2002, 06:22:10 pm »
Looking for some help.  I've programmed a configuration file for my Mame, but when I go to load it I'm getting the following error: ERROR LOADING KE72 <serial port>  Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Also, I have six buttons for each joystick, but I can't figure out what is the 6th button on player 2 joystick within Mame?

Thanks for the help,

Rookie

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
Re:KE 72 Configuration
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 10:28:11 pm »
Need some more details -

Are you doing this via a dos window, or booting to dos?  Are you trying to load this via the keyboard port?  If so, are you using the "K" (I think) parameter?  Give as much detail of what and how you are doing so we can help....

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2002, 10:35:06 pm »
Well...did you plug in the serial device while your computer was ON?Sorry to inform you my computers serial port doesnt work anymore because my brother plug a digital camera via serial port and the port blew out I guess.And that another reason I cant post 2 of my project waiting..

;D2 cabinets ;D.

Thats like the only logical explanation

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2002, 12:45:34 am »
Hot plugging a serial port shouldn't hurt it. I don't think there is any poweri n a serial port,
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2002, 12:59:03 am »
Who knows...but i can upload the pics in my mame machine but that has no internet connection.

ANYONE know how a serial port might be damged ???.

Very annoying and yet weird problem :-[.

Nancy

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 09:14:38 am »
I am using the port 1 via a dos window. I typed in ke72load myfilename.cfg 1 and that is when I got my error. I also tried plugging it into port 2 and I get the same error.
Looking for some help.  I've programmed a configuration file for my Mame, but when I go to load it I'm getting the following error: ERROR LOADING KE72 <serial port>  Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Also, I have six buttons for each joystick, but I can't figure out what is the 6th button on player 2 joystick within Mame?

Thanks for the help,

Rookie

Nancy

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 09:16:13 am »
I am using the dos window and parameter 1 for port 1.
Thanks, Rookie
« Last Edit: November 25, 2002, 09:17:28 am by Nancy »

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 10:14:35 am »
Also.... the default configuration of Mame doesn't map player two buttons 5 and 6... you may want to configure those as well.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

Nailz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2014, 08:55:03 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 01:48:16 pm »
Nancy, I believe I know what your problem is....  you can't do the configuration from a DOS window, you must be in pure DOS.

Not sure what OS you are using, but if it's Win98 or 2K or whatever, you need to hit F8 at the start when you are booting up and enter into command line mode.  Then you should be able to run your commands.

I made this mistake the first time as well and then realized the direction stated it couldn't be a DOS window...

Hope that helps.

Nancy

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2002, 09:07:25 pm »
Nancy, I believe I know what your problem is....  you can't do the configuration from a DOS window, you must be in pure DOS.

Not sure what OS you are using, but if it's Win98 or 2K or whatever, you need to hit F8 at the start when you are booting up and enter into command line mode.  Then you should be able to run your commands.

I made this mistake the first time as well and then realized the direction stated it couldn't be a DOS window...

Hope that helps.

I am using XP OS and I just tried starting the computer in SAFEMODE via DOS Prompt and I get the following error now when I type in ke72load **.cfg 1:

cmd.exe System cannot open com1 port requested by application
« Last Edit: November 25, 2002, 09:08:46 pm by Nancy »

Nailz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2002, 10:25:42 pm »
Welp, after looking through the directions I have, it appears you can do things from a DOS window...

I am stumped, because it looks like you have the correct syntax and everything.  All you should need is:

KE72LOAD sample.cfg 1

and you should be good.  If you have tried it for port 2 and checked your connection between the encoder and the serial port then I would say you need to go back to Hagstrom and ask them for some assistance, maybe you got a bad card.

Do you have an internal modem or anything that may be trying to use com1 possibly?  I can't think of anything else.  Maybe try it on another PC to see if you get the same errors just to eliminate the possibility of problems with the serial ports.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2002, 12:48:34 am »
Welp, after looking through the directions I have, it appears you can do things from a DOS window...

Are you sure about with XP?  I think it would work in a dos window in win95, 98, & ME, but XP is very restrictive about reading or writing directly to com ports.

XP safemode won't help; in fact, it might prevent the XP com port drivers from loading.

Then again, I don't have a KE72, so I'm no expert on the software used or if it's XP compatable.  Heck, I don't have XP either.   8)  So sorry in advance if I'm wrong.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Nailz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2002, 12:51:29 am »
Yeah, good point.  Maybe you could try it with an older Win95/98 boot disk, just boot with the disk, then insert your KE72Load disk and try it like that.  If you don't have one Nancy, let me know and I can send you a zipped up copy, I have one laying around here somewhere and it should work just fine for you.

Darkstalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2010, 12:55:36 am
  • A legend in my spare time...
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2002, 05:51:37 pm »
Two things...

You CAN program the KE72 in WinXP, but you have to use the Serial connection.  The PS/2 port is the true-DOS only connection.

And did you check to see if your serial port is enabled and set to COM1 (03F8, IRQ4) in your BIOS?  Do you have a modem that is causing a resource conflict?

Hope that helps...
Still in the collecting parts and ideas phase of cabinet building.