Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Happ Controls - Delaware  (Read 4296 times)

DemonBrew

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2014, 06:05:50 am
Happ Controls - Delaware
« on: April 11, 2005, 09:00:51 am »
Just a generic "review" of my recent purchase at Happ Controls. Kind of an FYI, not sure if anyone else had this experience.

I live about 10 minutes from the Delaware location. So, I wanted to save shipping charges and just stop in. I went to the location, and they have a sign on the door - orders must be called in to the 800 number before pickup. Ok, no big deal.

So, I ordered a total of 23 pushbuttons with horizontal microswitches and 50 feet of T-molding from the 800 number. The sales rep seemed kinda confused - several times I had to explain I wanted to pick the item up at the DE location because I live close by. After I placed the order, she said she would call back with an order number. They had to put my contact information in first, and couldn't process the order until then.

The sales rep called back later that day and said there was a problem with the zip code. I repeated it to her, she said ok. She called back the next morning, said there was still a problem with the zip code. I repeated the zip code again. She said, "in South Carolina"? I said no, I live in Delaware - I lived close to the DE location. I want to pick the items up there. She put the order in, said the buttons were in stock, the T-molding would have to get shipped there.

Several days later, I called the DE location directly to check the status of my T-molding. I waiting in the automated attendant for about 5 minutes "please hold for the next available rep". After a few minutes, it gives you the option of leaving a message. I left a message with my order number, my name and phone number. Just wanted to see what the status was.

By the next day, I hadn't gotten a call, so I just went to the location. I figured the T-molding might have been in by now (it was about 5 days since I placed the order). I picked up my order, the person there was nice, but I got the impression I was "bugging him". He didn't do anything abnormal, it was just a feeling I got from him. I kinda got this feeling the whole time (over the phone with the sales rep, no call on my status, and picking up the buttons).

The T-molding wasn't in yet. I'll have to stop back this week. Not a big deal, but would have been nice if someone called me. I didn't need the items, I'm in no hurry. I didn't call them constantly asking where my stuff is, etc. It just seemed like I was in their way or something. Anyone else run across this?
this space intentionally left blank

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: Happ Controls - Delaware
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 10:06:19 am »
Your order is "small potatoes" to them. They are primarily a distributor to other companies. That's why they have prices that are lower when you order large quantities.
NO MORE!!

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 09:15:24 am »
I live in PA, and get my stuff from a guy in Texas. Both times I've ordered from him stuff was there on the 3rd day. His price on 3" translucent trackball was half of Happ's direct cost.

I considered going to the Delaware Happs just for the heck of it when I was out that way, but didn't realize you couldn't just buy parts over the counter. Thanks for saving me some time!

DemonBrew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 10:15:12 am »
I live in PA, and get my stuff from a guy in Texas. Both times I've ordered from him stuff was there on the 3rd day. His price on 3" translucent trackball was half of Happ's direct cost.

Are you able to disclose who this person is? I too was considering the blue translucent trackball, but ended up getting the Ultimarc 2.25" instead based on the price.

DemonBrew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 10:18:55 am »
Your order is "small potatoes" to them. They are primarily a distributor to other companies. That's why they have prices that are lower when you order large quantities.

It's a shame. My $75 order isn't much, but it's $75 they didn't have yesterday. In addition, my $75 + your $50 + BYOAC members dollars all add up. Even if it's only $5, it's no reason to treat me like a schlub.

BUCKETHEAD

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 07:31:52 pm
  • Don't hate the player .... Hate the Game
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 06:28:00 pm »
They have good products.

But it also seems to me, They try to Stab you,

With high shipping charges.

Marquee retainer comes to mind.

Like $30.00 shipping i believe?

Highly unreasonable!   >:(

DemonBrew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 07:22:11 am »
They have good products.

But it also seems to me, They try to Stab you,

With high shipping charges.

Exactly my reason for showing up to the DE location to pick stuff up.

DemonBrew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 09:48:49 am »
Just a followup: it's been over 3 weeks since I put my order in. By now, everything came in except the T molding. I've gotten phone calls twice now saying the T-molding arrived in Delaware, come pick it up. Both times, it wasn't there.

The overall explanation I got was that the T molding shows up as having "left Chicago" inventory, so DE must have it. The first time, the explanation was that they don't have a way on the computer of showing the inventory that's on a truck. It's either IN Chicago or IN Delaware, no where else. The second time I went to pick it up, the explanation was that somone forgot to put it on the truck, and it's still sitting in Chicago.

The good news is, the cust serv rep in DE is having it FedEx'd Priority Overnight to me, no shipping charge to me.

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 10:30:09 am »
Stories like this one are why I have never and probably will never buy from Happs. They seem to be an all-around terrible company to deal with.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

MrTroy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2012, 12:13:12 am
  • Working on 4 projects
    • TDP.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 03:07:29 pm »
I ordered from Happs.... and the package came from IL.... ??? Weird
Lounge Room Arcade finished 12/08/2005

DemonBrew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 03:40:09 pm »
I ordered from Happs.... and the package came from IL.... ??? Weird
After my several dealings with the DE location - it seems that there is little to no inventory there. Seems like it's just offices, or mostly offices. In fact, my guess is there isn't any more than like 10 people over there, but that's a guess. Everything seems to come from the IL offices / warehouse.

spidermonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 12:53:16 am »
You haven't delt with poor service untill you've delt with %$!@?%*@!!
"Sinistar has bad breath"

DemonBrew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 01:44:01 pm »
Followup: I did get my T-molding as promised. I even got a free plastic coffee mug with an apology note!