Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fixed Freqency Monitor Question  (Read 621 times)

pacmod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2005, 05:02:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Fixed Freqency Monitor Question
« on: April 10, 2005, 11:41:26 am »
Someone local is selling a 21" fixed frequency monitor with video card.  I am not familiar with these and wonder if it would work for a MAME setup?  Is there anything special about these monitors other than the obvious that they have a fixed frequency?  Can the screen size be changed to like a 640x480 or other for the original arcade games?  Has anyone tried one of these types of monitors before?  I don't have any details about the monitors, but would it be worth $60?

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
Re: Fixed Freqency Monitor Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 12:19:23 pm »
I've got one of those in the closet I got for $5 at a garage sale.  With a FF video card, it makes a fine PC monitor, so if you're happy with the way MAME looks on a PC monitor, it'll do just fine.  Those FF cards have lousy 3d chipsets, so don't expect to play any PC games, and if you want it to run arcade resolutions, you'll have to muck about with Advance MAME, and I have no idea if that will work. 

So, don't expect anything more than a standard PC monitor with practically no 3d support from the vid card, and unknown compatibility with arcade resolutions.  Also know that it's probably 10 to 15 years old by now, so who knows what it's life expectancy is.

pacmod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2005, 05:02:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Fixed Freqency Monitor Question
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 09:13:58 pm »
Thanks for the info... I think I will hold out and would rather drop some money into a TV than to buy something that may not work!