Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sub drowned out  (Read 1342 times)

ginno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2008, 07:46:56 am
  • Gindustries Arcade
    • Gindustries Arcade
Sub drowned out
« on: April 05, 2005, 02:31:06 am »
Hey guys just put my cabinet together and have had some disappointing results with the subwoofer.

It sounded really nice when the cabinet was empty but now with the monitor shelf, front door, computer and extra monitor placed in the cabinet the subwoofer has no affect at all.

The arcade games sound ok but when i play music there is really no base at all.

The speackes are a set of Altec lansing with only a 10 Whatt woofer, still it puts out a fair bit of sound just the MDF really

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:40:45 pm
Re: Sub drowned out
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 10:34:02 pm »
How do you have it mounted?  Is it fully enclosed in the cab or does it have a grill?

ginno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2008, 07:46:56 am
  • Gindustries Arcade
    • Gindustries Arcade
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 01:49:20 am »
The subbie is mounted in its own little wooden box and just sits in the bottom of the cabinet, close to a 10 inch high gap i have accross the back of the cabinet

Bumblebounces

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2016, 07:57:28 pm
  • I ever tell ya 'bout Bumbles? Bumbles...BOUNCE!
    • Starbase 74
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 09:33:55 pm »
A 10 watt sub is way underpowered to be enclosed completely inside a 3/4 solid thick walled MDF box.  I have a similar cab but he sub is a 10 inch speaker with a 150 watt or so amp on it  (it's a set of Logitech Z560's).  Can't remember the exact spec on the sub output but it's supposedly a 400 watt system that includes 4 speakers and a sub.  Of course, that 400 watt spec is "music power" which is vastly different than RMS which is the only meaningful way to measure output power of an amplifier.

Still, I would think the amp for the sub would still be pushing at least 50-75 watts RMS which is enough to vibrate the 3/4 inch MDF cab it's sitting in.  No complaints about the sound when playing music but I have not really played music on it much.   So I am thinking of taking these overkill units out of the cab and making an mp3 juke with them, replacing with a cheap speaker set that will do the job for games.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for making your sound better except "get a bigger sub" or "place the sub outside the cab where you can hear it."

Good luck

Bumble