Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is lexan strong enough to mount buttons?  (Read 1616 times)

Brad Lee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 11:39:04 am
Is lexan strong enough to mount buttons?
« on: November 15, 2002, 03:29:16 pm »
I'm planning a control panel sandwich made of 5/8" wood, graphics on paper or vinyl, and 1/8" lexan on top. This gives me a pretty standard 3/4" thickness to mount most everything.
The one exception so far is atari cone-style lighted buttons. They came off of a metal CP which is what, 1/16"? It is possible to mount them to 1/8". I'm thinking of cutting holes in the wood where these buttons would go and mounting directly to the lexan.

Are there any foreseeable problems doing it this way?

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
Re:Is lexan strong enough to mount buttons?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 03:50:32 pm »
You should be ok.  The cone buttons shouldn't be taking a pounding like the larger buttons do.

I would make the whole in the wood as small as possible.

You could also consider using a large washer countersunk into the top surface of the wood, under the overlay.  This would take some of the strain off of the lexan.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2002, 03:52:56 pm by ErikRuud »
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 04:05:47 pm »
For this application I would say yes. Lexan is some tuff stuff and as the last poster mentioned make the hole in the wood as small as possible. Post some pics how it turns out. I've looked at those atari buttons and think they would look cool.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Brad Lee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 11:39:04 am
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 04:10:17 pm »
They're actually from a Omega Race cp- Midway, but the switches are exactly the same, slightly different cones

They were all stuck and nasty, but a little bit of alcohol, elbow grease, and lots of clicking the mechanism, is all it took to get em back into good shape. I just wish there was a way to light all 4  through the keyboard or Ipac.

I'll probably cut a square hole  in the wood for each of them, since thats the shape of the switch under the cone, that should help keep it from spinning

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 05:23:54 pm »
Whatever you do..MAKE double sure that you print overlay on vinyl.The material is amezing.You cant even make any scratch even if you tried on purpose.I am finally happy..just so you know..as soon as I get my serial port fixed then i can post a pic and you can take a look(it will convince you to go vinyl ;D).