Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Normal" Resolution for MAME Cabinets? / Download Available  (Read 2274 times)

Flack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2021, 06:33:21 pm
  • The Commodork
    • Rob's Homepage
"Normal" Resolution for MAME Cabinets? / Download Available
« on: March 31, 2005, 05:25:46 pm »
I have been working on a MAME/Emulator front end over the past couple of weeks. The goal of my project was to 1, create a front end that is extremely simple to set up and use, and 2, create a front end that is extremely versitile (so that it can support any emulator and/or PC game). My intent was to create something that allows advanced users some options to tweak, but that beginning users can set up in five to ten minutes. I think I have succeeded so far.

One of the things this front end does (like many others) is display screenshots (if available). I am probably showing a lack of programming knowledge here, but it seems to be the only way to do that would be to create the interface using an "intended" resolution. In other words, right now the form is 800x600, so if your cabinet is running in that resolution and the program is launched in full screen mode, it works great. If the program is run at another resolution, it'll look awful.

I know VB programs can be written to be easily resizable, but doing that makes the screenshots and other text information not line up with my background graphic. These are the only options I see:

1, maintain different versions of the program for different resolutions.
2, force users to run a specific resolution (not very user friendly).

Am I missing a third one?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 05:00:08 pm by Flack »
.xX Flack Xx.

DaemonCollector

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2009, 07:02:16 pm
  • All your base are belong to us.
Re: "Normal" Resolution for MAME Cabinets?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 06:14:57 pm »
3) Write the program so it scales accordingly. Not really all that hard to do, just make all the locations and such dynamic based on resolution

AceTKK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 01:14:48 am
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 02:59:09 pm »
You'll pretty much find three different user bases for your FE. 

First, you'll have those who use a computer monitor.  For this group, SVGA or above is fine since text stays clear and sharp at high res on a PC  monitor.

Secondly, you'll have users who use a television driven through S-video / component connections.  For these users 640x480 is pretty much the highest res that's usable.  As the res goes up, text becomes blurry and unreadable.

Third, you'll have users who use CGA arcade monitors for their cabs.  These monitors typically run 320x240, and are unable to support higher resolutions w/out interlacing. 

-Ace-
I want my own arcade controls!

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 03:20:07 pm »
  Is this going to be a front end like MAME32 or like MAMEWAH, DK, etc..?

If it's going to be like MAME32, take a look at my MAMEWAH Config program.  That's form-based and I support different resolutions.  Basically it comes down to abstracting everything the user can do away from the design (typical design/data theory). I can help you out with that if you need it...

If it's going to be like MAMEWAH/DK/Kymaera, etc, then you'll certainly need to look into DirectX or Allegro.

-sab

Flack

• Offline Offline
  • The Commodork
    • Rob's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 04:32:04 pm »
You'll pretty much find three different user bases for your FE.
.xX Flack Xx.

Fuzzguitar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2012, 12:15:34 am
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 04:38:02 pm »
Looks nice so far though.
"My cab is nearly finished, no really I swear!"

wpcmame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 01:27:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 03:32:01 am »
Third, you'll have users who use CGA arcade monitors for their cabs.

Flack

• Offline Offline
  • The Commodork
    • Rob's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 04:59:41 pm »
If anyone wants to play with the latest version, it can be downloaded here:

http://www.robohara.com/software/ffe-alpha07.rar

It's still currently set at 800x600 but I'm working on that part. There are a couple of INI files included that let you configure the background graphics, colors, sounds, etc. Once it's all done I think it'll be pretty useful for people setting up their first cabinets and as a stepping stone to some of the more complex and powerful front ends.
.xX Flack Xx.