Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What type of surge protector to use for arcade games?  (Read 4572 times)

2PacMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2009, 08:33:45 am
  • PacMan collection
What type of surge protector to use for arcade games?
« on: March 30, 2005, 09:23:48 am »
OK, thanks for all the input from my other thread about surge protectors...you guys convinced me to get a few for my games.  Now the only question is, what type to get??  I mean, how much protection in joules do I need? 

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: What type of surge protector to use for arcade games?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 09:53:03 am »
It all depends on what type of surges you want to defend against.

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 09:58:32 am »
I just bought a pair of these standard surge protectors at RadioShack yesterday. I don't know anything about them, but figured they'd do the job. 330 joules/6000 volts/10,000 amps.

They're listed as $16.99 for the pair, but it's $9.99 in-store. Only thing is, I want to remove the power cable and replace it with something longer; but I can't get the damn things open because they use strange triangular security screws.  >:(

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 10:13:03 am »
If you want actual protection, put them on a UPS, not a surge protector.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 10:36:13 am »
What do you mean by 'actual protection'?  Do surge protectors do no good??

Basically, the kind of protection i want is just something in case i get a power surge or something of that nature.  I have many things plugged into normal outlets and nothing has ever happened, but i just want to add a little peace of mind i guess, but i don't need anything expensive...i mean, if lightning strikes my house and it burns down, i'm gonna be more concerned about other things than my arcade games.  And i also don't want anything i have to call an electrician out to install, i just need something simple.

I just went to the store yesterday to get 2 surge protectors, and they had all these different types...like certain protection levels in joules and volts and amps and i wasn't sure what to get.  But of course, they go up in price the higher the level.  So i decided to wait and ask you guys.  I just wanted to know what is a safe level of surge protector to run my arcade games through...i don't want to buy way more protection than i need.  BTW, they are both original dedicated games from the 80's, they aren't MAME or anything like that, so i don't think they have internal surge protection.

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
I think a UPS is a little overkill for most people- especially for those of us with DOS based machines that don't require a shut-down procedure. But then again, you never can be too careful with your pride and joy!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 10:40:05 am »
You're not thinking electrically.  A UPS does a lot more than simple backup power.

A surge protector can protect against surges over a certain amount.  It trips if there is a large surge.  It does not clean small surges that can be damaging over time.  Let me say this again:  All that $10 surge protector protects against is a single, catastrophic surge.  It offers no protection from small dips and surges and those are just as damaging over time.

A UPS is the same as the filter capacitor in your power supply.  It cleans out the small surges and also the small dips and will output a nice, clean, consistent AC.  At least a decent one will. 

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 02:59:41 pm »
What I want to know is why (new) homes aren't built with this kind of electrical protection to begin with!
NO MORE!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 03:16:43 pm »
Erm, because you didn't tell the builder to do it? 

Look, there isn't much that can be done without installing this sort of thing on every individual outlet.  That's not cost effective for a builder to do.  This is the nature of electrical wiring.

JDSkydiver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2006, 06:28:35 pm
  • Go Irish!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 05:28:59 pm »
In response to why homes are not built with protection...

Yes, your curcuit breaker panel acts to a degree as protection from outside surges, but may devices INSIDE your home cause quick spikes/dips. 

Your FRIDGE is a major cause of this.  Ever notice how you can get electronic devices to flicker avery time the fridge kicks in...?

A UPS will protect you from these dips, while a surge protector will only protect your device/cabinet/PC from large spikes heading toward your device.

JDSkydiver

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 10:22:24 pm »
Fridge, air conditioner, water heater, washer/dryer... they all cause these things.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 08:27:30 am »
So.....can someone tell me what kind of surge protector i should buy at the store for my arcade games, should i even bother? 

I think we got off on a slight tangent here :)

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 09:14:17 am »
We didn't get off on a tangent.  We told you to buy a UPS.  Go do it.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 10:10:46 am »
No...you told me to buy a UPS.  No one else suggested that. I think that's a little overkill, as do the other people here.  I'm not paying 70.00 for a surge protector.  I need two anyway.  Of course if i had all the money in the world, i'd be buying one of those, i have no doubt it is the 'best solution' but i need the most 'practical solution', which is why i'm opting for a normal surge protector.

I just need to know what kind of joule/amp/voltage protection i need for a standard arcade game.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 10:13:59 am »
First of all, they can be had for $25 or less.  Second, those $10 surge protectors won't protect you against a thing.

Third, I don't care anymore, pour water on the machines.  This is what I get for trying to assist.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 10:45:04 am »
Don't get me wrong, i appreciate your assistance.  A UPS is just not what i want.  It just got a little annoying when i was asking specific questions about surge protectors and you kept replying saying "go buy a UPS", and not addressing my question.

No hard feelings man, I know a UPS is probably the best way to go, it's just not the direction i want to take at the moment. I'd rather get a higher end surge protector than a low-end UPS.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 10:53:28 am »
Actually, went into depth to explain the difference between the two items and why a surge protector isn't all that useful, especially given the fact that they cost the same amount.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 11:10:26 am »
OK, well, now you've got me intrigued.  Can you give me a link to a UPS for around 15.00??  That's about what a decent surge protector runs.  If you can recommend a decent UPS for around 15.00 than i'll go that route.  Any suggestions?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 11:17:02 am »
OK, well, now you've got me intrigued.  Can you give me a link to a UPS for around 15.00??  That's about what a decent surge protector runs.  If you can recommend a decent UPS for around 15.00 than i'll go that route.  Any suggestions?

Watch your sales at OfficeMax and places like that.  I saw one advertised for $20 and it was a pretty good one.  Belkin, probably.

A decent surge protector runs more than $15.  The crappy, no way to know if they'll ever do a thing surge protectors are $15.  A good one starts at about $40.

Here is an example of a low cost UPS that would do the job.  It will do nice power cleaning and surge protection, just don't try to run the cab straight off the battery as it won't last long (that's not what it's designed for anyway).

http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=580898/search=ups
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 11:19:45 am by ChadTower »