Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Monitor and Xbox  (Read 2001 times)

namedos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2023, 06:18:13 pm
Arcade Monitor and Xbox
« on: August 24, 2005, 12:40:42 pm »
I posted the same question in the monitor section but thought maybe it belongs here.  Has anyone hooked up a Betson or Wells Gardner multisynch monitor to an xbox?  Reason I'm asking is that if you try to run the monitor at higher resolutions you can burn it out.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Re: Arcade Monitor and Xbox
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 07:07:18 am »
You could alway use an Ultimarc Xbox av adaptor to run it at 15khz if you're worried.

namedos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 02:41:39 pm »
Looks like that would take care of it.  Has anyone purchased either the PS or Xbox version?  If so, how does the image look?

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:33:29 pm »
I posted the same question in the monitor section but thought maybe it belongs here.  Has anyone hooked up a Betson or Wells Gardner multisynch monitor to an xbox?  Reason I'm asking is that if you try to run the monitor at higher resolutions you can burn it out.

To run an xbox at progressive resolution to a multi-sync arcade monitor would require a component to RGB transcoder.  As long as you only transcode up to 480P you would be fine, any higher and you would be going over the 38khz sync rate (> 800x600 max resolution of the monitor) and that could cause problems.  Just go into your xbox dashboard and enable 480P only and you will have no problems.

namedos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 05:36:55 pm »
Dave, thanks for the reply.  Do you have any idea how that would look displayed? 

Good options for a component to RGB transcoder?

Now if I can just find a cheap xbox I think I can make a go of this.

Thanks!!

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 06:17:26 pm »
Dave, thanks for the reply.  Do you have any idea how that would look displayed? 

Good options for a component to RGB transcoder?

Now if I can just find a cheap xbox I think I can make a go of this.

Thanks!!

480P looks very sharp (maybe too sharp as some have indicated) on a mutli-sync arcade monitor. Basically just think of a normal arcade game but you can't see the scanlines anymore.

I use the VD-Z3 transcoder for xbox/ps2/gamecube and it works great...lots of options to tweak sync and brightness.
http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=28

But for xbox, I believe if you hack it and upgrade the bios, you can buy a VGA cable for it without need for a transcoder.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 10:20:18 am »
Looks like that would take care of it.  Has anyone purchased either the PS or Xbox version?  If so, how does the image look?

It looks great :)