Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My Robotron seems to have amnsesia  (Read 3605 times)

DaveStall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2021, 05:56:25 am
My Robotron seems to have amnsesia
« on: March 19, 2005, 05:11:51 pm »
Recently, everytime I power on my Robotron machine, I get a message stating the following:

"High Score Table Reset
Bookkeeping totals cleared
Adjustment Failure
Restore Factory settings by opening coin door and turning game off and on"

The batteries are brand new (in fact this may have started after a battery change .. I never leave a set in for more than a few months).  Also, if I unplug the machine and let it sit for awhile and then turn the game back on, it comes up with nearly the same error, but it is now in cocktail table mode (that is, the screen inverts for Player 2) which must be reset by entering the service menu and restoring the factory defaults. Otherwise the game runs just fine.  Does anybody have any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
Re: My Robotron seems to have amnsesia
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 05:37:07 pm »
Sometimes those battery holders get weak and don't hold the battery correctly.  Have you tried to pinch them together so they are getting good contact?

The cocktail thing is STRANGE!  The inteface board has a jumper (W1) that must be removed to put the game in cocktail mode.  If the W1 jumper is present on the interface board, then the game should always be in upright mode.

I'm almost guessing that you may have a grounding problem.  Those wms boardsets are pretty picky about having all the boards grounded together, you can get very strange and intermittent problems if they aren't tied together with a ground strap.  Also check your power supply to make sure you are getting a solid +5VDC.  I check my voltage by one of the eproms, not at the power supply.  If you look at page 11 of this PDF, http://multigame.com/wmg_manual_1_0.PDF, there is a photo on the bottom of the page that shows where to get power for the CPU daughtercard.  That is the same place I use to verify the +5VDC level on the power supply.  If you are using the original linear power supply, then it may be time for a rebuild (see Bob Roberts for a kit) if you aren't getting a good +5VDC.  I converted my boards over to use a switcher so I can adjust the +5VDC line.

DaveStall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 05:45:33 pm »
Thanks Oscar,

I also am beginning to think that this is a grounding problem, especially now that I notice my player one start button is no longer working as well.  I have checked all of the connections at the control panel, so I am guessing that this is something farther down the line.  I do have a switching power supply in place of the original unit, so I can easily check the connections there.

Dave

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 05:49:35 pm »
Might be a bad interface board now that you mention the P1 Start button problem.  I've had those flake out on me before, too.  That could also explain the cocktail thing....

I've seen people sell those interface boards on RGVAC for $5 each or you might fine a cheap one on eBay if you don't have a spare to test with.

DaveStall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 07:33:50 pm »
That point about the interface board was a good one.

tbombaci

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 01:01:26 am
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 09:08:58 pm »
I still have the memory loss problems,

Remove the battery holder and install the LI upgrade. I had the exact same problem in a Stargate.

You can find the LI upgrade on Bob Roberts site.

-Tom

DaveStall

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 09:13:47 pm »
I have been thinking about installing that upgrade ever since iI pickup up this Robotron.  The only thing holding me back is that I am a little worried about soldering on the mainboard.

Dave

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 09:22:38 pm »
The LI upgrade is a very good idea since it can help prevent acid damage to your boards in the long run, but it shouldn't be necessary for your boardset to work correctly.  Those AA battery holders are kinda flimsy, and since you have been changing the batteries on a regular schedule (kudos, BTW, not everyone does that!), they may need a little maintenance.

Since you were able to fix your other problems by cleaning up the interface board, you are on the right track by doing the same with the battery holders.  You might also want to check the solder joints on the battery holders, too, may they have loosened up a bit from the regular battery changes.  If you use a 20-30W soldering iron, you should be able to reflow the solder joints easily without damaging your CPU board, but still use caution and don't leave the iron on the traces too long or you could cause them to lift off the board.