Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question about the fan in a cocktail arcade game  (Read 4760 times)

2PacMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2009, 08:33:45 am
  • PacMan collection
Question about the fan in a cocktail arcade game
« on: March 18, 2005, 08:21:05 am »
How important is it for the fan to be running in a cocktail arcade game?  I know it prevents it from overheating.  But mine is old and makes a really loud noise when it's on, so i unplugged it. 

I only have my game on when i want to play it, and i think it's only on for like an hour or hour and a half tops.  Do you think not having a fan going would be OK?  I'm assuming that fan is more for games that are on all day everyday like at an arcade.  It really makes the game more fun by not having a humming noise in the background.  Let me know what you gusy think, thanks.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: Question about the fan in a cocktail arcade game
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 08:26:26 am »
Most games (cocktails included) never had fans in them in the first place. The only games I have owned (out of 100 or so) that had fans were pretty much every Sega game, and Star Wars.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2009, 08:33:45 am
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 09:12:51 am »
My game is a Super Pac Man cocktail...it looks like the fan did come with the cab, i don't think anyone added it.

So you would say it's ok to play it without having the fan running??

APFelon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:10:35 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 10:20:15 am »
Manufacturers placed fans in cabinets for a reason. If your cabinet came from the factory with a muffin fan, I wouldn't run it without it. Just think of it as an "either/or" proposition-- You can either drop 10$ for a fan now, or spend 50-200$ for board repairs later.

Check with Grainger-- http://www.grainger.com/ (search keyword "FAN")

or Mazzco http://www.mazzco.com

and replace it. Your cabinet and your wallet will thank you for it.

APf

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 02:20:00 pm »
My original Space Invaders cocktail cab also has a factory fan. I would not run the game without it.

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 04:15:09 pm »

Check the voltage rating of the fan and replace it. Discount / Surplus stores usually have them for fairly cheap. Or you can scavenge one out of an old PC power supply.
NO MORE!!

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 01:41:31 am »
All Midway and Bally/Midway cocktail cabs came with a 4-5/8" square "Muffin" style fan. Don't run your cabinet without it. These cabinets get hot internally and that's why they included the fan. If it's noisy or running slow, then REPLACE it.

If the fan is unhooked or runs slow, you will literally bake the capacitors on your monitor. I have seen many instances where someone had done a capkit on their monitor and cabinet had a non-functioning fan. The capacitors lasted only about 3 to 6 months and they needed a new capkit again!

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 11:47:26 pm »
Ken, I disabled the fan on my Sega Turbo (which does not have the original monitor). Is this going to be a problem? The darn fan was louder than the game, which is only on for an hour or two a week.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 12:18:00 am »
Maybe not that short of time would hurt it.

Wade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 08:30:51 pm
  • 80's Child
    • Wade's Gameroom
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 11:59:09 am »
Both of my cocktail cabs came with pretty substantial fans from the factory.  One was fine and the other was siezed up, so I replaced it with a pretty spiffy 120V roughly 5" $20 Radio Shack fan.  I can really feel the air movement out of the speaker grills.

Wade