Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Screen position in Mame v.61  (Read 1563 times)

wootz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2002, 02:02:51 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Screen position in Mame v.61
« on: November 07, 2002, 01:33:41 pm »
Im having some problems with my mame setup.  I'm currenly using a Geforce 2 GTS to a cheap AI Tech scan converter out to the composite input of my 27" TV.  My problem is that when i use game launcher or lazarus to run win mame v.61 some of the game is off my tv screen or sometimes it actually wraps around to the other side or top and bottom.  

Ive tried quite a few games with and without hw stretch and each games starts at a different position, and all are noticably off center.  I tried repositioning my screen with nvidia's nveiw settings, it worked for windows, but did nothing for mame.

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I can fix it?

Heres my specs:
1.7 GHz Celeron
256MB RAM
Elisa Gladiac Geforce2 GTS 32MB DDR RAM
AI Tech Pocket Scan converter -> 27" Sharp TV
Win98SE
Mame v.61
Game Launcher, Lazarus

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re:Screen position in Mame v.61
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 01:19:10 pm »
I have a question and don't get mad.....

why in the world are you using a scan converter to get composite out?  If it's a geforce card then it should have composite out built in, and if it doesn't then a super crappy video card is the culprit.  

Contrary to popular belief scan converters are extremely bad.  Unless it's a broadcast quality converter, it's automatically 10 times worse than the tv out of any decent video card.    Even with that aside though, they are generally used to convert the signal to go to an arcade monitor, not a tv.  To run it through a converter is not only over complicating things but degrading the picture even more.  Also many scan converters have to be re-centered when the screen resolution changes, so that is probably the reason you are having centering problems.  

Also invidias utilities are crap, unfortunately.  They usually cause more problems then they solve.  Try disabling them all-together.  

wootz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2002, 02:02:51 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 01:52:24 pm »
I think you have it, Howard

This system was originally built out of spare parts i had in my garage.  The video card only has SVGA out so i used the spare scan converter to connect to the TV which only has composite input.

Ive since upgraded to a faster proccessor and new mb. The new setup didnt like my old Diamond Stealth III video card (MAME ran just fine on it), so swapped it with the geforce in my parents computer(now MAME no worky).  I was just hoping it could something else  :-\

I guess ill keep trying to get the Stealth III to run or shell out some money for a decent tv out vid card.  Or maybe ill just live with it till Andy releases his vid card and I can have a real arcade setup(instead of a tv sitting on and old stove like i have now).

Thanks.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 10:03:47 pm »
Yes I am also waiting for andy's new vid card, so i can finally make the pacman cocktail :)

Psyklops

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2003, 11:39:55 am
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2002, 01:30:58 pm »
I had the same issue when I went from Windows 98 to Windows XP on my computer monitor.  Using HWStretch some games would act as if they had been zoomed in on.  I finally got around this by setting Mame to always run at a resolution equal to that of my desktop (instead of resizing to what the game uses), and to use HWStretch.  Now all the games are displaying correctly.