Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which is Better..  (Read 2515 times)

Richy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2004, 09:04:53 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Which is Better..
« on: May 09, 2002, 03:44:55 pm »
Ok, Ive decided to start a bit of a debate, Which is better: To build a cabinet from scratch, or to convert an old cab? I am trying to decide which one to do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

creatine28

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2012, 03:41:48 pm
  • Which way to the Arcade?
Re: Which is Better..
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2002, 04:27:00 pm »
I decided to build mine from scratch, I was first trying to buy an empty cab, but I was having a bit of trouble finding one locally.   What are you thinking about, a cocktail cab or a stand up?   The Cocktail can I'm in the processing building has been pretty easy to make, although I admit if you don't have a plan from the start, you'll be knickled and dimed to death with little details.   Good luck!

delta88

• I didn't try to trick anyone - Fair warning was given
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 09:53:16 pm
  • This place is still here?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 11:32:19 pm »
then again..If I see anothe converted pacman,street fighter,playchoice10 i'll go bnnanas but hey..I have found that games that are totaled..cost more to fix than actual worth work great......my bk was trash but i like it..looks good now...its all in how much ya wanna spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Trenchbroom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2020, 09:25:43 pm
  • Wampus? Get over here!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2002, 11:30:25 am »
Build your own would be ideally preferable for design purposes, but I'm happy with my converted cabinet for two reasons.

1.  The cabinet was literally 2 days from the landfill or the torch.  It was stripped and thrown in the back of a distributor's junkyard waiting for the bonfire to begin.  No guilt about ruining a classic cab in this instance.

2.  Sense of history.  I've got an actual game cab that has seen 20 years of gaming.  Thousands of people have stood in front of it, dropped a quarter into it's coin slot and enjoyed the experience.  

Overly sentimental, but it's the truth.  

Why would someone by an antique bookshelf when he has the tools, materials and knowledge to build his own to the exact specifications that he wants?  Depends on the person, really.

Frobozz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2002, 03:16:45 am
  • I've been sane, but then I got better.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2002, 02:11:27 pm »
I'd say, if you got the tools, time and most importantly gusto, build your own.  It'll be exactly the way you want, with all the features you want.

If you're looking for something quicker though, and have access to an old cab, then convert it.  There are rules though for converting cabs to MAME machines.
I believe there is a link on here somewhere.  

There's even a point though where Pac-Man cabinets are so totally unsalvagable, that the best way you can honor it is to make it a MAME box.  But what you're looking for are either: A newer, "generic" jamma style cabinet in good condition; or an older classic style cabinet in wretched condition (missing all parts and destroyed sideart are almost a must).

There are some purists though who will remind us of an important fact though...

"That Mortal Kombat / Street Fighter 2 cabinet you're about to take the jigsaw to, in 20 years WILL be as valuable as a Pac Man cabinet is now.  You sure you really want to do that?"

You really think there's going to be any arcade machines left in another 20 years?  Sad but true.  

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2002, 05:00:08 pm »
Well for me it was a no-brainer.  I bought a Xevious cab in very good condition for less than $20.  It had everything except for the electronics (boards and monitor were gone).  I added:
2 coin mechs
1 coin switch
500 tokens
I-PAC
2 under-cabinet flourescent lights
6V DC power adapter (for coin door lights and speaker amp)
amp from cheap powered computer speakers
old pc
old monitor

After quite a bit of cleaning, building a shelf for the pc monitor and hooking it all up, I love it.  I only have one problem now.  My hands keep getting sore after a couple hours of games...  :)