Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $50 Tempest  (Read 3836 times)

SuperGunGuru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 08:14:53 pm
  • Filling up that basement
$50 Tempest
« on: February 24, 2005, 11:53:49 pm »
I scored a $50 Tempest tonight from my local arcade! It's complete, plays blind, tube has neck glow but no picture. Inside I also found 1 complete repair kit for the monitor and another one that was partly used. This is definitely my best deal since I started collecting!

Witchboard

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2022, 09:09:24 pm
    • Oklahoma Coin-Operated Collectors
Re: $50 Tempest
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 12:31:58 am »
Damn.. great find!  :P

tommy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 03:16:03 am »
Lucky     !@##$$%      fellow   ;D

greywolf22

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2020, 12:45:06 am
  • My cab is always a work in progress
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 09:55:58 am »
Awesome, post pics when you get the chance  :)

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2024, 08:36:42 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 11:32:19 am »
where did you steal that for $50?   :P
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

Paladin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 04:10:03 pm »
Now that's a deal!

Super Zap-a-rific!!

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 02:49:23 pm »
Just thought I'd share a quick picture that I took of it. Sorry it's not the best, but the lighting in that spot wasn't the best.

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 07:33:33 pm »
Hey welcome.

Oh, and you suck.

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 01:23:40 am »
I was looking at the two get well/repair kits for the monitor that were still inside the machine. One was partially used as I mentioned and the other looks complete. The partially used kit still had all 6 of the transitors in it as well as some caps and I think a few other components. It makes me question what their tech really knows about these machines if he only installed part of the kit when the directions say to install all of the parts. Has anyone had experience with these get well kits? From what I've read, I think I have a fairly good chance installing the full kit will fix the monitor.

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 12:58:39 pm »
Did some work on the cabinet recently. I now have a new big blue and a new rectifier on the power supply. I gotta install my rebuild kit soon.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 02:54:23 am by SuperGunGuru »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 11:34:44 pm »
How can you tell the big blue is new? Is it one of those newer dark ones?

I also find it crazy that your local arcade had a Tempest, even one in the back.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 03:03:37 am »
How can you tell the big blue is new? Is it one of those newer dark ones?

I also find it crazy that your local arcade had a Tempest, even one in the back.

Whoops......I fixed a typo from my previous post where it said "I know have a new big blue." I meant that I now have a new big blue since I ordered that and other stuff from Bob Roberts. It's one of the new dark, black ones.

Yeah I recall playing it a few times but at that time I wasn't into the game. I'm not honestly sure what made me suddenly get into Tempest like I have. The arcade closed down for the summer and then re-opened last fall. When I went back I noticed the Tempest was off to the side and after a month or so it wasn't on the floor anymore. A few weeks ago I asked the manager of the place about the X-Men they have there and I happend to mention the Tempest. He thought it was taken by some guy that knows the owner but it was still in the backroom. He wanted the space there for a breakroom. Another buddy of mine scored a paperboy also for $50. That's the best of the stuff left in the backroom.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 06:08:12 am »
Wow, that is a lot of old equipment. Every arcade I have been to in a long time that has any old equipment has it on purpose and they fix it when it breaks down. I find it amazing that the operator didn't know that even a dead Tempest is worth $500.

Tempest is a great game, I only know of one of them in my area that is still on location, City Museum in St. Louis has one along with a Ms. Pac, a Sunset Riders and a BUNCH of EM stuff (they also had Bad Dudes and Centipede but both of those appeared to be dead when I was there).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 12:58:39 pm »
It was hard to believe they'd sell it to me for that much. I was honestly shocked when they accepted my low offer. I planned to go higher on it if I needed to, but the owner of that place reallly doesn't seem to care. They don't appear to have a good technician oh hand. I'm hoping their Galaga breaks down soon  ;)

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 11:41:08 pm »
Me and my buddy Josh (pictured below) did some work on the game tonight. We were preparing to install some parts to try and fix the monitor but first I dediced to crank up the brightness to see if I could at least get the dot in the center of the screen. Miracle of miracles, I saw the game come up on the screen! I couldn't believe it. Amazing that the tech at the arcade couldnt' figure this one out.

redcoats

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2015, 04:04:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 07:02:54 am »
Me and my buddy Josh (pictured below) did some work on the game tonight. We were preparing to install some parts to try and fix the monitor but first I dediced to crank up the brightness to see if I could at least get the dot in the center of the screen. Miracle of miracles, I saw the game come up on the screen! I couldn't believe it. Amazing that the tech at the arcade couldnt' figure this one out.

You mean to tell me that the only thing wrong with that machine was the brightness was turned down? Working or not that is a great deal. I'm jealous.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 07:44:35 am by redcoats »

SuperGunGuru

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 11:39:30 am »

You mean to tell me that the only thing wrong with that machine was the brightness was turned down? Working or not that is a great deal. I'm jealous.

Yep. A fuse was also unplugged on the power supply and the power cord had to be replaced (someone cut it off)

redcoats

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2015, 04:04:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 03:39:14 pm »

Yep. A fuse was also unplugged on the power supply and the power cord had to be replaced (someone cut it off)
Big deal about having to replace those. You got a smoking deal. I need to find some deals like that. :)