Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Age old question about Williams games  (Read 1298 times)

spidermonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
Age old question about Williams games
« on: October 27, 2002, 01:59:42 pm »
Sorry guys, you can sceam at me if you want :-[ but I can't remember how to get into the dipswitch menu on Robotron in Mame. I know it involves F2 or F12 OR  F something but I just can't remember. I been trolling in the Mameworld forums for it because I know its been asked  a million freekin times but of course I can't find one mention of it when I need it.  The evil tanks are ganging up on me and I need more men! ::)
"Sinistar has bad breath"

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:Age old question about Williams games
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 02:22:07 pm »
In Mame, hit the Tab key and then go to "Input (this game)" and find which key is for "Advance" (by default should be F2).  

Hit F2 (advance) several times (cycle through the tests) until you come to the game adjustments menu.

BTW: Robotron is ment to be HARD as hell.  If it wasn't, it wouldn't be so much damn fun.  Oh, and if you aren't playing on leaf sticks, its not the same expierence.  Eugine Jarvis is a freaking genius.

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 02:44:46 pm »
Thanks Dave K.
I know I'm cheating but thats the beauty of Mame.I'm finally getting back at those robots who stole all my quarters years ago. ;)  I'm only giving myself a couple of extra men to even the score. heh heh. And yes I have two 8-way and one 4-way Wico leaf sticks on my cp. My other cp has all Happ sticks for newer games but I rarely use it. And yes,Eugene ROCKS!
Thanks again.
"Sinistar has bad breath"

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2002, 04:33:34 pm »
don't cheat at robotron.  Keep playing... The run about robotron is getting into some weird zone where you can move before thinking...

Once you hit this stage, you can get to where you make more lives before you die...

Remember, the single score trick in Robotron is to get as many of the humans before dying.  They go 1k, 2k, 5k, then like 10k (whatever it is) so if you get 8 before dying your racking in the points.  

Classicavana

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2002, 06:12:03 pm »
cheating on arcade games is sad....

your playing them for free as is, isn't that cheating enough?

:)

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2002, 11:40:41 pm »
I got back at Robotron by buying the bastard game.  Its so authentic it even has F*!K Y&U carved into one side  ;D  Obviously it pissed off many a kid and stole plenty of quarters.  Now its my b!tch.  LOL !!

Lilwolf is on the money about getting into that zone (after an hour or two of warmup).  You may be able to reach higher levels by giving yourself some extra men and setting the difficulty at 0, but it may start to get boring as its basically the same levels over and over again just sped up.  

The true madness in this AI really reveals itself at difficulty 10 (with the rest of the settings at default).