Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atomic Front End Available for US!  (Read 26878 times)

youki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
Atomic Front End Available for US!
« on: February 07, 2005, 06:55:27 pm »
Hi All,

Few month ago i created a new Front End for Emulator optimized to be used in a Arcade Cabinet with MAME.

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
Re: Atomic Front End Available for US!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 07:36:19 pm »
So you're planning to sell this front end with a modified build of Mame included in it?  :police:

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 07:54:00 pm »
Hi ,

Thank for your interrest.

Not at all, i didn't plane to sell the frontend with the modified version of mame. 

In short time, the PRO version will not be provided with a mame version anymore. (it is just a prototype now)  But i plane to provide the credit management solution as shareware.  But it will work with all mame version not as the current one.  For now, the PRO version will expire because i don't want somebody use this version in a exploitation context.

the Standard version is fully fonctionnal (except credit management) and it is and will stay a Freeware!

Cheers,

Youki.

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 08:01:05 pm »
I'll give you one thing, it's very easy to set up initially- probably the easiest front end I've ever installed.

But why is it so slow to start a game? After I select a game from the list, the 'Loading' screen pops up for about 30 seconds before the game starts. Is there a way to make this faster, or is it a bug?

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 08:03:58 pm »
Also agree the speed of loading would be a deterant.

-Goz

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 08:09:28 pm »
Hi,

Try to use an older version of mame , or create a MAME.INI with :

skip_validitychecks 1

in it.

You can try to uncheck the "Hide emulator loading" on the option tab.

If you have still the problem. I will investigate in my code, may be i did something wrong in this version.

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 08:17:29 pm »
Even when using your AtomicMAME build, which has 'skip_validitychecks 1' in mame.ini, it is way too slow to
start a game. Must be a bug.
Also, the AtomicManager won't let me select English again- it is stuck in French.  :(

Looks promising though! Keep it up!

papaschtroumpf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2013, 11:41:10 pm
  • Have a Cow!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 11:36:05 pm »
I'll give it a try sometime.

I like the idea of being able to carry your credits from one game to the other.
I don't like the idea of having to pay for it though  ;)

Actually doesn't sound that hard to implement, I'm surprised nobody has done it before.

It'd be nice to be able to click on the thumbnails for the layouts to see a bigger picture,

I like the fact that you can have an overlay over a snapshot like in this pinball skin:

It gives a sense of depth to the layout

MinWah, if you're reading this, any chance to get something like that in Mamewah?

papaschtroumpf

• Offline Offline
  • Have a Cow!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 01:20:30 am »
Also, may I please have a copy of the source code for the AtomicMame bundled with the "pro" version? A patch rather than the whole source would be even better.
(according to the MAME license you must make the source available: If you use portions of the MAME source code in your program, however, you must make the full source code freely available as well.)

Merci!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 01:23:32 am by papaschtroumpf »

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 03:36:22 am »
HI All,

Thank a lot for your feedback.

Concerning the problem of being stucked in french.  You're right it is a bug. I'm going to correct that today.  For now , to work around. Delete the file AtomicManager.lang  which is in the Atomic Folder. When you start the manager, it will prompt you again for the language. Choose English but DON'T save the settings.  I'm going to correct that as soon as possible.

Concerning the speed. Try with a old version of mame (like 0.70) and unchecck "Hide Emulator" on the manager.  Let me know if it is better or not.  The version, i provide is based on 0.90 which is desasperatly long to load in comparion of older version.  But i'm going to double check what can be the cause.

Concerning the source code, it will be available soon. As soon as i will have feedback on the prototype. If it works well , if it is usable..Etc..etc..  All will be provided  according to mame license.

Concerning Layout, you can even apply AlphaBlending (Transparencies) on each objet present on a layout.  When i will have time, i 'm going to allow to see larger screen on my web site.   

Juste a note : A given layout can be used in ALL resolutions and in all position (vertical or horizontal).
You can use a horizontal 800x600 layout on a vertical screen in 320x200 for instance.

cheers,

Youki

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 04:20:42 am »
Hi All,

A patch to correct the Internationnal problem (The manager stayed stucked in French) is available on download page of my site.

http://www.atomicfe.com

Just replace AtomicManager.exe by the file contained in the zip.

Sorry for the bug.

thanks

Youki

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 08:16:57 am »
An Hotfix is available to fix both problems.  "French stuff" and Loading speed.

If you still have loading speed probleme after installing the hotfix. You have to uncheck "Hide Emulator" on the option tab. It will solve it.

Youki

sWampy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2010, 04:23:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 08:20:07 am »
It seems to crash on windows xp if you try to play an xvid movie made with mame movie maker.

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 08:53:07 am »
Hi,

If you use Atomic in Jukebox video mode  , you need to have the right codec for Windows Media Player. If you can play the video with window media player , you can play it with atomicFe.

if you are speaking about Video SNAP , the format supported is a standard AVI in 16 or 24/bit per pixel. 
What other users uses to make video SNAP is a tool called CamStudio.  The format generated by this tool is readable.

I didn't know Mame Movie Maker until now. I will try it , and try to find a way to support his video format in future release of Atomic.

thanks.

Youki

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 09:00:29 am »
I don't like the idea of having to pay for it though
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 09:17:51 am »
There is other interrests too.

If you have a broken coiner.  You can use the Free play mode of Atomic Pro.  It will insert credit for you in each game.

And for me, the interrest was purely technical, a kind of challenge.  The reasons why the Pro version should be a shareware. (not really decided yet). It is just because i'm consious that it will be used in a exploitation context.  But i think for non-commercial user, i wll provide a freeware version which will allow FREE PLAY mode only.  But as i said on my web site, the PRO version is still a prototype , so things can change.

Youki

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:11:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 10:52:47 am »
I don't like the idea of having to pay for it though

sWampy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 11:10:06 am »
I don't like the idea of having to pay for it though  ;)

Actually doesn't sound that hard to implement, I'm surprised nobody has done it before.
Because the only real reason to do it is to create a commercial MAME cabinet, and most of the FE devs here won't touch that concept with a ten-foot joystick.

Exactly!  This is very uncool.  You are literally giving people the ability to easily pirate games in a commerical envoronment. This could very well lead to the roms community being treated like the file-sharing community if it ever catches on.  Many of the old arcade companies are out of business, but trust me.... if a single cabinet is found with your fe running, making money off of a pirated midway or nintendo game....  the community is as good as toast.

I sortof like the idea, I bought mame tokens, got my coin doors working, and even hooked up a relay to the solenoids in my coin doors, where they only take tokens if you are in an emulator, or the jukebox.   The added ability to not loose credits when you exited a game/jukebox would be a cool addition.  I'm sure it would be abused though.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 11:15:40 am »
I sortof like the idea, I bought mame tokens, got my coin doors working, and even hooked up a relay to the solenoids in my coin doors, where they only take tokens if you are in an emulator, or the jukebox.
--Chris

sWampy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 11:40:16 am »
I sortof like the idea, I bought mame tokens, got my coin doors working, and even hooked up a relay to the solenoids in my coin doors, where they only take tokens if you are in an emulator, or the jukebox.   The added ability to not loose credits when you exited a game/jukebox would be a cool addition.  I'm sure it would be abused though.
But since you have the key to the coin box, is it really a big deal?

However, for a commercial cabinet, the potential for losing credits is a big deal, and possibly one reason we haven't seen more MAME cabs cropping up on location.

Reminds me of the time I had a guy asking me for printable cash flow reports for WinCab Jukebox.  A little overkill in a home environment, I think...  :P

No, It's not important, neither are the tokens really, since you can hold down player 1 and hit button one to get a credit if you want.  It would just be a cool thing.    Now you get in to cash flow reports is just wierd. ;-)

papaschtroumpf

• Offline Offline
  • Have a Cow!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2005, 11:55:15 am »
But since you have the key to the coin box, is it really a big deal?

I agree, not a big deal, but again then, is having a coin mech a big deal? you can make a prefectly good cab without one.
It seems like a neat feature to me, even for a home cab, especially since I ration my kids' daily token allowance  :o

cashflow reports on the other hand scream "commercial use".

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2005, 12:12:14 pm »
Hi All,

First of all, last time i was in your country (last october, in N.C) , i saw 3 mamecab in a exploitation context.  Two using MameWah  and the other using AdvanceMenu. Credit was not managed from the frond end, but there was a big sign like an user guide. Saying "Choose your game and insert coin only when the game runs".. or something like that.   I know that in spain Mamecab in arcade are very commun.  It is not legal, but it is not the fact to allow credit insertion on the front end which will cause the illegal usage of roms and mame.

A commercial system already exits called Ultracade. 

It is up to you to follow law of your country. I think.

But don't worry. The current Pro version available is not commercially usable due to limitation i included in it. It is just a proof of concept. May be this version will diseapear or not. It depends on feedback i can have. If the entire community is against this kind of Feature , i have no reason to provide it.  I'm not a business man, i 'm just a retrogaming lover as you all i think. 

But i use the PRO version at home in my cabinet, and personnaly i find this feature very usefull. 

Youk

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2005, 01:19:52 pm »
I'm not a business man, i 'm just a retrogaming lover as you all i think.
--Chris

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2005, 01:24:40 pm »
It is not legal, but it is not the fact to allow credit insertion on the front end which will cause the illegal usage of roms and mame.

True, but as fe authors we can do at least our best to keep it as difficult as possible!

Looks like a great fe that you have there :D

peter

Gunstar Hero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2005, 02:04:26 pm »
Howard, check it out! It's KHAN's dream come true!  :P

Ahem, on the subject...

I like the idea. Really. I'd like to set it up on my home cab. But honestly, we've seen alot of guys who don't have much in the way of scruples around here who don't think it's especially wrong to make a commerical-use MAME machine, like they're some sort of pirate Ultracade. I'm sure nothing's going to deter you from the idea, but remember, if you start selling a commerical-use version of your program, you're making yourself a party to this kind of exploitation, and I'm sure that opens you up to some kind of liability.

terryd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2005, 03:14:58 pm
  • To each his own... Unless I want it first!
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2005, 04:13:13 pm »
I for one think that this FE is nice and the author can make any features available he wishes.  I personally like the idea of having credits carry from one game to the next.  For those individuals who would exploit this feature for profit are probably already doing so. 
Just my $.02....

-Terryd

btoddkelley

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2013, 04:52:05 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2005, 04:54:52 pm »
I believe that many of the people who like the "credit feature" simply want to make the arcade experience more authentic at home. I have no desire to set up a commercial mame cab but I like believing that I am in an arcade. (without the dirty carpet!). If Min ever adds it to mamewah I will use it, if not I will deal with it!
     I think a nice feature would be to add a credit based timer system to a front end as well. (I know, then people could charge for Atari 2600 games.) The real question the community has to answer is whether we allow the actions of a few unethical users to prevent FE developers from making there product as "arcade like" as possible.
     In my experience I have found that if something can be done in responce to profit motive, it probably will. While I applaud the FE developers attempts to prevent unethical uses of emulators in general and mame in particular, in the end, there efforts will be vane.
     5 years ago there was no such thing as a "burner". The mame doc's stated that you should only possess roms you own.  As time passed burning became the prefered metheod of aquiring roms. Our ethics evolved.  (In many ways they are situational. When someone complains about roms what they normally mean is " you shouldn't have them if you do not own them but I can". )
     I betting FE's will evolve too!

Todd "I have never used a burner" Kelley
For it is not enough to have a good mind, rather the main thing is to apply it well.

- Descartes

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2005, 05:05:10 pm »
I believe that many of the people who like the "credit feature" simply want to make the arcade experience more authentic at home.
How is this authentic?  I have personally never played a machine in an arcade that allows you to carry credits from one game over to another.  If I walked away from a machine I had credits in to play another machine, I lost the credits.
--Chris

jsansoterra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2005, 12:04:51 am
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2005, 05:21:29 pm »
I agree btoddkelley!

I have no intent on making my MAME cabinet a commerical success but I would like the option to transfer the credits between games.

My MAIN reason is simple, if not even a little lame.

My kids RESPECT the MAME machine MORE when they started having to put quarters in to play. When it was unrestricted it took a lot more abuse (maybe those of your with children will understand).

At the end of the week we usually take all the money and go have pizza.

Lookng forward to trying out this new front-end.

:P

btoddkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2005, 06:52:41 pm »
I believe that many of the people who like the "credit feature" simply want to make the arcade experience more authentic at home.
How is this authentic?
For it is not enough to have a good mind, rather the main thing is to apply it well.

- Descartes

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2005, 07:18:04 pm »
I think it is a cool and viable feature for home use. Why do so many of us spend the extra $ for coin boxes and all those custom made BYOAC & MAME tokens if it wasn't?

I would like it because the n00bs that play on my cab always try to insert coins in Mamewah, and then they usually screw mamewah up or have to ask me where their credit went. I think it would be cool for those of us with coin boxes, using tokens and so on.

Looking forward to trying out this FE.  :D

Youki:  Any instructions on how to make layouts and the Animated Backgrounds?
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2005, 07:30:53 pm »
It is a cool feature, and I'm sure youki doesn't mean any harm.  The FE looks very good and this feature is a neat one for sure.

I do think it is a bad idea however.  Some people somewhere will exploit it - a case of a few spoiling it for everyone if you like.

I've had people put money in my machine while in my FE...but it doesn't take people long to learn after nothing happens and I tell them 'put the money if when the game is loaded' for them to get to grips with it ;)

terryd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2005, 03:14:58 pm
  • To each his own... Unless I want it first!
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2005, 09:38:04 pm »
I just want to use the coin feature because I'm too lazy to keep entering coins for each game.  :-\

GGKoul

• Cheesecake Apprentice
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2019, 05:47:30 pm
  • I was once a big man!! -4700 posts later...
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2005, 09:56:57 pm »
I believe that many of the people who like the "credit feature" simply want to make the arcade experience more authentic at home. I have no desire to set up a commercial mame cab but I like believing that I am in an arcade. (without the dirty carpet!). If Min ever adds it to mamewah I will use it, if not I will deal with it!

GGKoul

• Cheesecake Apprentice
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2005, 09:58:15 pm »
I just want to use the coin feature because I'm too lazy to keep entering coins for each game.

btoddkelley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2005, 10:52:54 pm »

Burners are charging the service at little to no profit.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 11:07:56 pm by btoddkelley »

- Descartes

GGKoul

• Cheesecake Apprentice
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2005, 11:37:16 pm »
I've been here long enough to have read every post about Mame and its legalites.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 01:12:40 am by GGKoul »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2005, 12:13:26 am »
And do you think burners do it for FREE? Most offer other roms at a mark-up that allows them to justify there time while still given away mame roms.

I suppose it depends on the burners.  The Laz guys do it straight - you send them media, they put the ROMs on the media.  You do pay for the postage, both ways
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 08:13:31 am by Peale »

GGKoul

• Cheesecake Apprentice
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2005, 01:10:53 am »
And do you think burners do it for FREE? Most offer other roms at a mark-up that allows them to justify there time while still given away mame roms.

I suppose it depends on the burners.

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2005, 03:59:39 am »
Hi All,

Thanks for all your feedback. I read them carefully , and it will determine the future of the pro version.

I saw a question concerning "how to make layout" , if you look in the docs folder , EN subfolder, open index.htm , and you should find a section which explain how to make your own layout.
I didn't write documentation myself , unfortunaly i don't have lot of time. So it is surely not perfect, but it will change.  The Layout tools i provide, if very ugly. I'm will make a real easy to use tool soon.

If coder who have time read this post!.. if you want write a Nice Layout Editor for me.. you 're welcome!...  Contact me. 

Please if you have technical question , or configuration problem, do a new post which explain your problem, i will answer on it , it will be more clear.

I really aprecciated the comment of MinWah. Thanks.  :)

Thanks

Youki