Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 3darcade - Idea for a JAMMA model  (Read 1290 times)

MrArcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 03:45:28 pm
  • I wish I had time to play these games !!!
3darcade - Idea for a JAMMA model
« on: October 22, 2002, 02:19:22 pm »
This is just brain food for those that make models....I do not....

I have been trying to figure out what would be a good model design to use for generic jamma games.  Here is an idea that I think would do nicely...

Use a model of a Dymano (or other) jamma cabinet.  Maybe a dark grey in color....and then do for side art what is done for the marquee.  Use the flyer for the sideart.  If possible it could use the marquee if no flyer is available.  The default side art could be a jamma logo or even just a solid color the same as the cabinet so the cabinet would look plain.

This way even the games that never had a dedicated cabinet could have unique sideart.

Oh, the memories of living on pizza subs and Dr Pepper...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re:3darcade - Idea for a JAMMA model
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 03:55:50 pm »
I've already done this... I just haven't released the cabinet yet.  As for the sideart that isn't really possible right now as we have to make anentire map of the side, not a just a portion and at least in 3darcade, flyers aren't supported in any way.  

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2002, 04:48:29 pm »
I also like to have models of the most popular non dedicated arcade cabinets. Here in the netherlands even in the eighties most of the cabs in our arcade were general cabs...so for a relastic recreation they are very importent :-)

I am not sure about using flyers or marquees on the sides...personally i prefer to keep the models as accurate as possible...so flyers on the sides...not for me...but...the real question is if i will support dynamic texturizing of the sides...and i probably will...it has never been a priority because not really nescessary...if this would be added you could put whatever on the sides like you can do now for screenshots and marquees. (Actually I allready made the hooks for it in the fe...shader 1= marquee, 2=screenshot, 3=bezel, 4= cpo, 5= left side 6= right side...but the models themself are not setup like this right now...)

Peter

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2002, 06:33:40 pm »
What would be nice is the bezel and cpo

90% of the capcom games i already have the artwork ready to go, i just feel silly releasing a bunch of clone cabs (I'm already pretty bad about that)  plus after the first few it gets old and isn't fun to do anymore.  

But that still doesn't address the problem I'm talking about.... as you know )p( the w3d files won't accept offset coordinates on maps, and if you did flyers and/or dynamic sideart application, each image used would have to be converted to account for the entire side of the cab, not just the small rectangle of the side it would be applied to.  

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 01:15:21 am »
What would be nice is the bezel and cpo

90% of the capcom games i already have the artwork ready to go, i just feel silly releasing a bunch of clone cabs (I'm already pretty bad about that)  plus after the first few it gets old and isn't fun to do anymore.  

But that still doesn't address the problem I'm talking about.... as you know )p( the w3d files won't accept offset coordinates on maps, and if you did flyers and/or dynamic sideart application, each image used would have to be converted to account for the entire side of the cab, not just the small rectangle of the side it would be applied to.  

actually i think i prefer it this way because now each w3d contains a complete cab for the the game. but you are probably right for all those newer cabs that are basically the same...i don't know how many variants there actually are...the other reason i prefer only updating the marquee and screenshot is for the cylararcade interface it would be a big bottlekneck speed wise...loading those bitmaps from the hd.

as you know i have not have time to do work with max lately but i would be surprised if there is not a solution for offsetting map coordinates because a shader in shockwave can have 7 layers of textures...

peter