Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Connecting 2 audio sources at once  (Read 1728 times)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Connecting 2 audio sources at once
« on: February 06, 2005, 05:55:57 pm »
I'm thinking of how I can connect my PC & DC into my cab at the same time...for video I'm going to use a monitor switchbox (ideal as I'll be using an ArcadeVGA & VGA Box), but for audio I was wondering if I could get away with just using a 2 into 1 adaptor, so both PC & DC audio would be connected to my amplified speakers at once.

I realise if I have them both on at once the audio will be mixed, but is there any other reason why I shouldn't do this?  The only thing I can think of is the small signal from whichever source is on might make it 'the wrong way' into the other (does that make sense?) - I don't know if that really matters or not.

I know I can get an audio switch box as well, but I was just hoping not to have to.  In fact, if doing this is OK then would it be OK to do the same with the video (ie not use a switchbox)?

Any advice'd be great :)

D_Zoot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:59:37 pm
  • Sorry if I get any spit on you...
Re: Connecting 2 audio sources at once
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 06:11:41 pm »
You *can* just wire the two sources together, but it's not the correct way of doing it.  Interactions between the audio circuits in both components can occur.

Wouldn't it be easier to just hook the DC to the line-in jack on the PC ?  You would need to have the PC on to hear the sound from the DC, but it's an easy way to hook things up and you'll get the advantage of being able to use your sound card volume applet to balance the various sources so volume levels from the two systems are the same.

D

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Re: Connecting 2 audio sources at once
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 05:39:28 pm »
Thanks for the reply...

There's no advantage using the PC's line in since I need to switch video too.  Plus it just seems a waste of power (not to mention the noise of the PC).

I think I'll use switch boxes :)