Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Yoke for 270deg drivers  (Read 1269 times)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Yoke for 270deg drivers
« on: January 20, 2005, 08:21:42 am »
I know you can use a Star Wars yoke for 270degree driving games, and it'll work fine...but I was wondering if in people's experience it works 'well enough' or 'really well'?  My main concerns are the fact that a yoke has less lock than most 270deg wheels, and that obviously the yoke handles turn in the y-axis too.  I wonder if this might take away some of the 'feel' in drivers?...

I am a big fan of a some of the 270deg drivers (OutRun in particular), and I'm trying to decide whether just a yoke panel will do, or if I should make a dedicated 270deg wheel panel too (this will determine whether I put a shifter on my yoke panel or not).

Anyone who's used a yoke care to comment?

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: Yoke for 270deg drivers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 10:02:56 am »
I think it worked great..

but its different if you keep the y axis as accelleration.  Still playable but different.  I have a pot based gas pedal, but I haven't mounted it as a 3rd axis... and at that point I think it would be perfect for 270 driving games.

But I have to admit... I tested it... but I don't like most 270 driving games in mame.. I played a few pc driving games and it did great.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 10:06:51 am »
Certainly worked well enough in Road Blasters and Road Riot 4wd.  I know those weren't true yokes, as they have no y-axis, but they had the same amount of travel.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 10:53:42 am »
Certainly worked well enough in Road Blasters and Road Riot 4wd.  I know those weren't true yokes, as they have no y-axis, but they had the same amount of travel.

Actually RoadBlasters controllers have a lot more travel - I have one of those too (& a knackered RR4WD one for that matter!).  They are actually a lot more different than they look.

Lilwolf:  I'm not so much bothered about using the Y-axis for throttle since I already have 2 analog pedals.  But if it did great in PC games I'm sure it'll be fine.  I might make a test CP before I go the whole hog just to make sure.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 12:07:38 am »
I know they're different internally (optical, etc.), but I thought they turned about the same distance right to left.  I don't suppose you could measure how far your yoke travels for me- I'm planning to convert my Road Blasters for XY down the road, and want it to be as close to SW as possible.

Thanks!