Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Yea though I wander through the valley of Mame  (Read 4083 times)

Brad Lee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2005, 11:39:04 am
Yea though I wander through the valley of Mame
« on: October 15, 2002, 04:02:48 pm »
I shall fear no evil..

And so I begin the task of putting together a MAME cabinet, I've got enough planning in that I think it'll work

I found a cabinet- A full size Tempest, to be picked up this weekend. It's really a bare box, so there is no control panel, no monitor, a gaping hole for a coin door, no marquee.. IMO perfect for some of the modifications I think would be nice touches

The control panel I have worked up in visio & photoshop, similarto this(I'm at work so this is a VERY crude mockup)
http://www.sixsixsix.com/sa/tempestcp.gif
It may be a little too deep, so I may move the monitor backandreclaim a few inches there, or I may come forward a few inches- remember there's no existing CP, so Ive got plenty of room to work with

For Tab, Pause, Reset, Advance, I plan on using mini-momentarys, recessed into the area under the marquee header, again since there's no existing marquee I've got full liberty

The PC I should be able to mount to one of the inside walls of the cab, giving easy access to ports and cards.

IPac & OptiPac, the spinner will probably end up as an Oscar2(for size). The joysticks are still a debate- I like the small balltops at ultimarc, as well as happ's, so I'll probably get a pair of both and just eBay the ones I don't use. The trackball is still in limbo, between finding one on ebay, happs, or a kids serial PC trackball. Buttons will be the ultiamte pushbuttons, and hopefully I can find a pair of the lighted atari start buttons

The artwork on the cab looks good except for the bottom 1/5th or so, peeled or missing.. Options here are getting a new pair for the original look, completely different artwork, solid color, gradient.. or what popped into my head this morning- vinyl car flames! Found a decal shop that has them about 60"x15", which would fit perfectly on the side..
CPO & Marquee I'm leaning toward jsut designing something original, but who knows?

I'm sure I'm not thinking of something, and over thinking parts also, but I think it'll all work out in the end

Progress I'll be posting at http://www.sixsixsix.com, hopefully with plenty of pics especially any of the non-standard things. And I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions in here as well...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2002, 10:45:16 pm by Brad Lee »

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Yea though I wander through the valley of Mame
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2002, 08:32:45 pm »
your cp image isn't upped or named something  differnt or in a diff directory....  I love your custom 404 message btw...

Good luck with the cabinet... I believe my cabinet is the same style... an old taito cabinet...  

rampy

Brad Lee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2002, 10:46:08 pm »
yeah, I left the directory off

it suits my needs for old school action.. spinner, tack, dual joysticks, a few buttons each, maybe some head to head

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2002, 09:58:36 am »
are you left handed or is the layout optimized for 2 joystick games (robotorn, battlezone, etc...) ?

also note: if you use tball for golf or golf esque games you might smack your hand into your spinner if it's placed at 12 o'clock...  just a thought... (you might end up hitting the cabinet bezel glass anyways if you're really rolling with the tball...

*shrug* ymmv

rampy

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2002, 10:14:31 am »
[quote author=rampy also note: if you use tball for golf or golf esque games you might smack your hand into your spinner if it's placed at 12 o'clock...  just a thought... (you might end up hitting the cabinet bezel glass anyways if you're really rolling with the tball...
Having my spinner in front of my trackball and the trackball close to the glass were the biggest layout mistakes I made!  I have to do all trackballing (for games that spin) with my thumbs... :(

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Brad Lee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2002, 11:15:16 am »
[quote
Having my spinner in front of my trackball and the trackball close to the glass were the biggest layout mistakes I made!  I have to do all trackballing (for games that spin) with my thumbs... :(
--Chris
Hmmmmm point taken.. once I get actual measurements of the CP, it'll be time to make the cardboard mockups, complete with poolballs & beercaps(is it a coicidence they're jsut the right size?)