Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Just curious: Do any of you guys watch G4?  (Read 2804 times)

HeadRusch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2006, 04:13:30 pm
  • ....Here you are all EQUALLY WORTHLESS...
Just curious: Do any of you guys watch G4?
« on: October 14, 2002, 08:06:24 pm »
The cable gaming channel?  If so, watching StarCade is hysterical...I dont remember that show from back int he early 80's...anyone remember which network might have carried it, and if so, when was it on?

FYI:  Starcade was a "videogame based gameshow" from the early 80's.......it looks like the show had a budget of about 40 bucks, but its great to see all those ridiculous haircuts (All the guys look like they just stepped off the set of CHIPS).  And basically you had two people playing videogames against each other.  

The show is great in that its "showcasing hot new games" like Q-bert and stuff, they do little tech blurbs..."Digitizing is the next wave in computer graphics, see the new Journey Game!" etc........and the prizes they give away? Classic "YOu've won the Mattel Aquarious Computer System!". :D

The nostalga factor alone is drool-worthy...I might have to start taping it just for preservations sake.

On the other hand, the show is really pathetic...and kinda sad when you see a 20 year old guy whos big claim to fame in ife is that he's an expert "Asteroids" player :P

".....its like a Koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

mtd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2003, 04:15:46 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
    • MurderousTreacherousDogs
Re:Just curious: Do any of you guys watch G4?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2002, 08:10:37 pm »
You mean the best show on TV?  I don't get it presntly.  I just moved and my new cable company doesnt carry the channel.  I just need to cinvnice a friend to tap it for me.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2002, 09:12:48 pm »
Hey headrusch which cable company do u have?  I might have g4 and not know it...

I had never seen starcade when iwas a kid , either...  but i recently downloaded  a few episodes that are occasionally posted in alt.binaries.emulators.misc   and was laughing ---my bottom--- off...  they gave away something that was like a walkman.. except it played records....  you'd have to see it to understand/believe it... "it's about the size of a mans foot!" the announcer exclaims...

The other part I like is when they have like mom/son teams.... I can so see a Mom blowing a score and the kid freaking out or something =P (dammit mom, I coulda taken home a track and field...and it's all your fault.. I hate you.... ) =P

starcade is great... there's a site called www.starcade.tv that attempts to get in touch with past contestants as a where are they now...

rampy

MrToasty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2007, 12:33:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2002, 12:09:13 am »
I remember watching Starcade at my neighbors' house - my folks were too cheap to get cable at the time.  I'm pretty sure it was on WGN, but it may have been TBS.  I remember getting mad because we could never get the time straight to watch it as they kept shuffling it on the schedule.

As for G4, we're getting it here next month.  They're getting rid of ESPN Classic and ESPN News on digital cable here to make room for G4 and another channel.  I'm curious to see what it has to offer.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2002, 02:56:09 am »
Wish I could have a look at the show - I've read about it in an US-arcadebook I bought half a year ago, and it sounded pretty funny :D

If anyone ever starts to tape this or making a VCD/DVD from it, please let me know! :-)
Or are there any episodes shared on Kazaa or Edonkey? Though never found them there! :(

HeadRusch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2002, 07:56:24 pm »
Screw it, I'll start taping it...its on a couple times on the weekend, not sure when.........I'll check and try to tape some.  Then I'll try to digitize em.
I bought a pinnacle card but it wont work in my main P4 box, I'll try one of my athlons.....

I SAW THAT RECORD PLAYING WALKMAN Thing...the wife and I both laughed our asses off :)

"WTF is that thing!? BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..what junk!  I'd rather have the home version of the game...".  

Then they had a "Special episode" of nothing but the laserdisc game Castle Chase or whatever that LUPIN game is........and some poor, pathetic dude who was like 25 who was "The Lupin Master" or whatever...cuz he'd masteredt he game...that guy proabably got beat to hell the next bar he walked into.

Gotta dig the clothes tho :)
BTW: I'm on AT&T Broadband in Connecticut....gotta have the digital box to get the channel......

HeadRusch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2002, 08:58:13 pm »
I just headed over to that G4 website forums.  And I read through the STARCADE board.

And there is a thread by one of the actual Contestants of the show! AND ITS THE SHOW WITH THE GUY WHO I JUST MADE FUN OF IN MY PREVIOUS POST!! BLAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
I LOVE IT!

Apparrantly this guy won the show (I had to leave, so I never saw the end of the episode) and won his own Cliff Hanger machine (Dat's the name....I just remember Lupin , the character).   The "Expert" Guy I was bustin on above was name Marcello or something, and yeah he's like this 20-something guy ona show with 13 and 15 year olds. :)
LOSER! He was a previous winner and there is currently some debate over on the boards as to exactly why he was brought on, since apparrantly the guy had never played the game before in his life or something.  Funny stuff on the G4 message boards...go read.

Anyhow, I thought that was way amusing.  I gottastart taping this show.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2002, 09:00:29 pm »
I've discovered that I have g4!  I'm also on att broadband in CT... with a digital box.

but the show times are during the day... or really late at night... if I play hookey one day or its on later I'll be sooo tuned in.

like i said... keep an eye out on the binary newsgroup as they post digitized versions from time to time...
I'd bet some p2p, kazaaa or edonkey, etc would have it...  I'd up it somewhere but I dont' want to endanger my server with copyrighted stuff.

rampy

HeadRusch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2002, 09:53:45 pm »
Yeah, I turned on my digital cable one day to discover all those new channels I got :)

I never watch TV on that TV...its a widescreen, I usually only watch DVD's on it...but I decided to go channel surfing and kaboom, there's G4.  I was like "What the heck is this?".

Starcade looks to be on at 1:30 am every day......last show of the day I think.
I'll have to take one of teh VCR's and hook it up to the box, work on taping it.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2002, 01:14:08 pm »
Screw it, I'll start taping it...its on a couple times on the weekend, not sure when.........I'll check and try to tape some.  Then I'll try to digitize em.

Sounds good  :) - please let me know when you happen to get a VCD/DVD ready!   :D Guess we could find a way to exchange this...

Looked at edonkey, but unfortunately no Starcade there... And as I'm in germany, you wouldn't get it at any chance here!

HeadRusch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2002, 02:12:35 pm »
I can do this...course, I gotta build 2 mame cabs and do a bunch of other things BUT...I'll get to this.

FIRST....
gotta get vcr connected to tape it...

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2002, 02:18:39 am »
I can do this...course, I gotta build 2 mame cabs and do a bunch of other things BUT...I'll get to this.
Thanx in advance, HeadRusch - would be absolutely cool!
Lucky me, I only wanna build one cab!  :D And including planing I started only eight months ago...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2002, 04:28:06 am by Carsten Carlos »

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2002, 12:55:38 pm »
Hey carsten...  FYI stormposter over at alt.binaries.emulator.misc  (sp? ) is going to be posting 6 or 6 epsisodes of starcade next week!

So if you have a usenet account and a moderately fat pipe (internet access that is) you should be in luck... if you don't have a good newsreader may i suggest forte's agent

happy hunting!

rampy

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2002, 01:25:27 pm »
Unfortunately my newsserver sucks - it doesn't carry any binaries-groups and the newsmaster doesn

HeadRusch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2002, 03:23:08 pm »
I'll take a look this weekend for em...I'll try to bag em.
If I get em, I'll burn em to a disc and mail it out to you.