Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Computer sound + Console sound thru same setup?  (Read 1988 times)

Tritoch84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2006, 12:31:27 am
  • Parry!
Computer sound + Console sound thru same setup?
« on: December 31, 2004, 11:22:02 pm »
This might sound a bit odd, but if I need some help.

I'm running a TV in my cabinet so I can play real PS2 games on it, as well as MAME (simple switch of the cable.). But right now, my sound setup is to silly. I'm running a little shelf system on the ground for my PS2 sound, and a computer speaker setup in the cab.

Is there anyway I could somehow get the sound from the playstation to the speakers in the cabinet? Or vice versa? It's probably some little y cable or something I'm missing, but I have no clue when it comes to audio stuff.

Anyone help me please?
Overly Strict Father: "Here son, YOU can finish up this Street Fighter game while I get the pizza"

Me(age 10) "REALLY? *Mashes buttons like crazy* OH AWESOME *has heartattack*

D_Zoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:59:37 pm
  • Sorry if I get any spit on you...
Re: Computer sound + Console sound thru same setup?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 11:57:58 pm »
To do it this way, you'll have to have the PC on when you use the PS2,  but other than that, this would be a no-hassle to use solution:

You should be able to use an RCA to 1/8 stereo Y adapter cable (available at any of the big electronic stores or Radio Shack)  to connect the audio out on the PS2  to the "Line In" connector on the sound card of your PC.   

From there,  open the audio control panel applet (speaker icon, lower RH corner) on your pc (I assume you are running some version of Windows?) and enable the "Line In", usually done by ticking an enable box or unticking a "Mute" box.   

You'll probably have to play with the level settings for line in to get the audio output to match MAME so volume levels don't change alot when you switch between systems.

All you are doing with this is routing the audio from the PS2 to the computer speakers via the computers sound card.  You get the added feature of being able to balance the volume levels with the speaker/sound card applet to maintain consistant volume levels between gaming systems.

Good luck!
D

Tritoch84

• Offline Offline
  • Parry!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 12:13:14 am »
Of course! I don't know why I didn't think of this, thanks a bunch!

Now maybe I can clean this Cab up a little!
Overly Strict Father: "Here son, YOU can finish up this Street Fighter game while I get the pizza"

Tritoch84

• Offline Offline
  • Parry!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 12:16:43 am »
I've never seen a cable like you mentioned, would I get stereo output? I'm guessing so...

D_Zoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2010, 03:59:37 pm
  • Sorry if I get any spit on you...

Tritoch84

• Offline Offline
  • Parry!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 12:27:21 pm »
Thanks again.