Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Perfect picture on old monitor?  (Read 649 times)

snipa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2007, 07:53:51 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Perfect picture on old monitor?
« on: December 07, 2004, 08:49:05 am »
Hi guys,

Another noob - but we've all got to start somewhere!

I've just got my first cab, and as it's only a small generic one, it's def. gotta be a MAME.

Anyway, despite it's age, the cab's in great nick, and before buying it, I checked out the monitor for screen burn. As it was in good order, I bought it.

On starting it from cold, though, the screen's not perfect, however.
It's all there - correct size, shape colours....but it's not perfect.

There's a very feint flickering as the brightness just increases/decreases - very subtle, but noticeable particularly with light colours.
It's also apparent that the screen's not very vibrant - it's just not very bright!

As it's an old monitor WG 19K7601, would these be likely to be rectified by installing a caps kit, or due to the age of the equipment, is this just to be accepted?
Looking at the board, some have been done before, but not all.
As it's my first build, I don't want to have to dismantle it as it currently works!

Regarding the vibrancy and brightness of the picture, I'm not sure whether a video amp would improve it, once I've interfaced an ArcadeVGA?
Surely as it's JAMMA it runs at 5V anyway?

So, to sum it up, can these old monitors be tweaked to display a 'perfect' picture, or do we just have to live with these little niggles?

dabone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2023, 12:03:37 pm
  • Time to work...
Re: Perfect picture on old monitor?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 11:02:13 am »
I've tried the wg monitors with and without the amp, and you can get a decent pic without the amp, but I prefer it with the amp, the colors just jump out better.

Also, a cap kit is always a good idea to put in a monitor that you have just gotten, before you put it into service, just for the knowledge that the caps are not to blame for any problems you might have a few months down the road.

Later,
dabone