Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question regarding Encoder Wheel/Oscar Spinners  (Read 1879 times)

Warborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
Question regarding Encoder Wheel/Oscar Spinners
« on: September 24, 2002, 03:46:02 pm »
Ok, I was looking over the Oscar Controls site, looking at the parts section...  Now I see that the Oscar Pro has the large diameter encoder wheel, while the model 1/2 have the small diamerter one...  What is the big difference with having the large/smaller sizes of the wheels?  Additionally, couldn't you use the large diameter one with standard optics/interface out of a USB mouse instead of the Opti-Pac for the same or similar results?

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
Re:Question regarding Encoder Wheel/Oscar Spinners
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2002, 12:08:08 am »
Approching 30 views and not one person has ANY idea about the differences with the encoder wheels?

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2002, 01:23:05 am »
I think it is explained on his site.  The larger one is new, it has less backspin.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2002, 06:28:36 am »

Approching 30 views and not one person has ANY idea about the differences with the encoder wheels?

Hey, you just posted this yesterday.  OSCAR is a regular on this board and I am sure he will answer a thread with his product in the title.  I prefer to let him answer for his products so I didn't reply initially.

Besides what SirPoonga said, the OSCAR Pro also has a larger flywheel = longer spin.  The OSCAR Model 1 has the interface you described.  I can only assume that OSCAR tried this and had problems with it, since it's not offered on the PRO.

He should reply soon, or you could drop him an E-mail.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2002, 06:44:41 pm »
I assumed from the public posting that you were asking for other peoples opinions/experiences.

The primary distinction between the wheel diameters is the tangential velocity/acceleration each are able to produce and the effect they have have on the particular interface they are used with.  There's the weight difference, too.  The larger wheel is ~ 7.5x as massive as the small one.

TigerHeli is also correct.  Since the overall flywheel assembly is a larger diameter, it makes for a longer spin because the weight isn't concentrated near the shaft (a little centrifugal action....).

If you have any other product specific questions, please don't hesitate to email me.

While I have been on this board more often in the past couple weeks or so, that isn't always the case.  Sometimes I'll go a while without getting a chance to stop by.  If anyone needs to get my attention, the best way is through email.

Kelsey
info@oscarcontrols.com