Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help: time to pick some speakers  (Read 3818 times)

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
Help: time to pick some speakers
« on: September 18, 2002, 08:32:48 am »
OK.. I was thinking that I would try to find a mini amp/crossover capable of supporting 2 2-way speakers and a woofer (or just 2 2-ways -- is this all I would need for good bass/mid/treble responsiveness?) for my cabinet then just grab some car stereo speakers and grills..

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap, AC-powered amp/crossover (assuming that's even what I need here -- I'm not an audiophile) for connecting 2-3 speakers in my cabinet that has 1 (or 2 for surround stereo, I guess) 1/8" out to connect to my soundcard?

I know; tall order.. even a good audio component website to browse would be nice (or even a name for what I'm looking for)..

k-spiff
k-spiff

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Re:Help: time to pick some speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 09:00:58 am »
If you're using 2-way car speakers, then most of these have a crossover built in.  Therefore you just need an amp.  You could use a car amp and run it off the 12v from your PC power supply, or use a home stereo amp, or nick a small amp from some PC amplified speakers.

You'll just need a lead from sound card (3.5mm jack plug) to amp (probably 2x Phono (RCA) plugs).  The speakers themselves will be easy to wire up to the amp.

I think this setup would sound pretty good (I'm thinking of using similar in my cab), if you really need a sub you'll either need an amp with sub output built in, or you will need a crossover to separate out the bass.

Hope this helps