Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade monitor vs. TV.. Fight!  (Read 3139 times)

John

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2004, 06:03:19 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Arcade monitor vs. TV.. Fight!
« on: September 14, 2002, 02:07:58 am »
Just want to get some input on what you folks think about substituting a 25" Arcade monitor with a 25" panasonic TV.  I still need to take some measurement and maybe even take th TV out of it's plastic shell to get it to fit in my current cabinet.  But just so far TVout has been outstanding going to a 19" TV and I'm having little success getting the 8500 all-in-wonder to output to the arcade monitor.

I think I'm really getting crazy over this.  Last night I had a dream I got arcade monitor to display windows perfectly.  scary.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up the PC components for the cabinet.  I am thinking along the line of a 1800+ or 2000+ with 512MB of ram and use the existing 8500 and a 40 GB harddrive.  

My friend who works at a auto-painting shop is going to help me paint the cabinet with automative paint (in the next couple weeks) so I'll post more pictures as I get them.  I am currently putting on Bondo type material to hide all the edges.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for the comments on arcade monitor versus TV out.  And any hints on mounting the TV is appreciated.

John

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:Arcade monitor vs. TV.. Fight!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 02:33:05 pm »
Since an arcade monitor accepts purge RGB as input, the picture is going to be better than any TV.  The only good thing about a TV is your choice of commonly used inputs (composite/s-video/component).  Plenty of people have gotten their graphics card to output to an arcade monitor.  I think there was a utility called powerstrip with lets you lower your VGA (640x480) sync rate to 15khz.  Then just hack a VGA cable to your arcade monitor.

-Dave
« Last Edit: September 17, 2002, 04:42:59 pm by Dave_K. »

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2002, 01:27:32 pm »
stick to your arcade monitor. :D

tv is horrible..use arcade os+arcade monitor.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 09:04:43 pm »
Nah you don't need that junk.  Get a tv... dont even bother with that 25 inch arcade monitor.  As a matter of fact mail it to me and I'll throw it away for ya. ;)

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 02:11:05 am »
Dont mail it to him.Mail it to me.

i will make good use of it and you will go to heaven. ::)