Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Joystick Help/Painting Help  (Read 718 times)

Yoodaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2006, 02:15:47 am
  • I'm a llama!
Joystick Help/Painting Help
« on: October 03, 2004, 09:44:54 pm »
Just a few quick questions. I am finishing my mame cabinet and wanted to know:

1. Are MCA joysticks anygood? I going to service them (new mswitches)
2. Are they 8 way?

The other 2 questions are How do i make those discs to cover the hole for the joystick? I have seen some and they look great. Can you put them on whilst leaving the joystick intact?

And can i polish the cabinet to give it a mirror finish when its painted? I am using Oil based paint. Gloss Black. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 12:51:16 am by Yoodaa »

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
Re:Joystick Help. 3 questions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 11:28:28 pm »
1. MCA joysticks bite big time
2. MCA's can be restricted from 8 way ( normal operation ) to 4 way and 2 way if you have the restrictor plate for the bottom..
3. Dust covers are just flat plastic so you could make some yourself.

Yoodaa

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 11:51:57 pm »
Why do they bite big time? I was told they are industrial qaulity, and are unbreakable. And they are Australian made  ;D

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 12:06:20 am »
Yeah they are "industrial quality" and they are "indestructable" but to make them like that precise play, light touch etc are compromised in my opinion. They are designed to work only when really bashed, unles they are brand new and then I guess they would work ok but the very tough rubber grommet used to restrict movement really does restrict your movement.  They are generally considered the cheap nasty way to go as far as BYOAC but they have their place.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 12:07:50 am »
I've  got some of those, but have never hooked 'em up to try 'em out- they just came with some other stuff I bought.  I dunno about unbreakable- just wiggling them around when I got them, the did seem a little less sturdy than Happ or Wico products, and the black rubber thingie they use for resistance looks like it might break down over time.

That said, I've seen posts from people who are using them, and like 'em just fine- like this one:    http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=21506;start=msg174330#msg174330

Yoodaa

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 12:48:45 am »
Thanks guys. Well i have always played on thses sticks, and I like them. With new switches, and a good greasing, I am sure they will be smooth enough.