Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Does this control setup seem reasonable?  (Read 2105 times)

cdbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
Does this control setup seem reasonable?
« on: May 26, 2002, 08:04:59 pm »
I must say - thanks to everyone that posts on this forum.  I have found a lot of information (sometimes too much - information overload) which has been very helpful.

I was thinking about the following for control panel layouts - will be having two cp's.

CP1 - 4 players, 8 buttons each + credit and start which will fill the ipac4.  large number of buttons will be for psx/dc a bit later.  I was originally going to use supers for all 4 as they seem to be a good way to go - then someone was raving about perfect 360 (which are a lot of money especially when converted into aussie $).  Is there any point to using perf 360's?

CP2 - 2 players, 2 optical rotarys, 3" trackball, 2 spinner model 2, about 4 buttons each player.  I was thinking about putting 2 e-stiks as they seem to be quite good.

Would anyone recommend the e-stik over the super?  Any advice on 4-player cps and 2 player cps (along the same setups as above) would be great.

Thanks again everyone for past and future help
-cdbrown
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: Does this control setup seem reasonable?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 09:55:22 pm »
quick note... no game in mame has more then 4 buttons on player 3 and 4.  So it's not worth putting them in.

The 360's you need to deal with getting 5volts power.  Not a big deal... I like supers for some games and competitions for others myself.  The 360s used to come in each type (I think).  You just get rid of the microswith.

I would consider breaking the 2nd control panel up myself.  I don't like control panels that are so big that you have to play on the edges for 1 player games.

I went like this.

4 player control panel.  Middle joysticks with 6 buttons each (should have done one more for neogeo games on the bottom row... going to redo it soon).

classic cp.  4 way joystick... then the buttons for asteroids, the qbert 4way.  So you have a 4way would have buttons next to it also.

Then I created one with a gorf/tron flight 8way joystick and a trackball next to it... seemed like it would be a good idea (but I haven't hacked the trackball yet).

Next, I got some SNK rotary ones.  I want to make a control panel for them with 4 buttons each.  But I haven't figured out how I'm going to hack them.  Didn't want to buy the control board for the snk 12 ways... but I probably will break down and get them.

But making more is good...

cdbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
Re: Does this control setup seem reasonable?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 11:07:11 pm »
quick note... no game in mame has more then 4 buttons on player 3 and 4.