Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ergonomic Arcade Buttons Layout - Enclosed Picture  (Read 2425 times)

Pacific Ripper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 14, 2008, 12:14:30 pm
  • Tearing it up like a rag doll.
Ergonomic Arcade Buttons Layout - Enclosed Picture
« on: October 16, 2004, 02:27:28 pm »
I just want opinions, criticisms, or suggestions on this control panel I'm about to start on. I will be using the X Arcade DIY Kit as the keyboard encoder. The layout of the buttons is designed ergonomically for the most comfort - well, at least that's my hypothesis. So, any thoughts on this, please let me know. This will be my first arcade project.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 02:59:18 pm by pacificripper »

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2024, 03:30:49 am
Re:Ergonomic Arcade Buttons Layout - Enclosed Picture
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 03:19:34 pm »
You asked for criticism, so here it comes :) (don't take any offense please)

Doesn't look at all ergonomic to me.  It looks horrible in my opinion.  

First of all, my entire body would have to be angled to the left just to stand at the control panel, making my head angled to the right just to look at the screen.

Second, geez man... unless you have huge hands and huge long fingers, that button layout looks like its gonna hurt a lot.  It's like my fingers will be completely spread apart to their max constantly and that still wouldn't be enough to reach all the buttons.

You are trying to hard man.  Take a look at all the original arcade games that have come out for the last 30 years.  Do you see ANY button setups that even VAGUELY resemble that button setup??  Back to the drawing board bro...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 03:21:06 pm by Jakobud »

johnnysmitch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2006, 02:22:05 pm
  • I want you to MAME me as hard as you can
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 03:30:22 pm »
I gotta somewhat agree with Jakobud here - the buttons are spread out too much.  I see what you're going for with the angle tho - I don't think you'd have to stand at an angle like Jakobud hypothesized - I think this layout is definately worth a try if you tighten up the button spacing - try to keep the buttons with only like 1/4" or less space between them (edge to edge).  Also, any reason for 8 buttons?

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 03:30:47 pm »
I'm going to have to agree and say that looks like the complete opposite of comfortable.  I really do think you are overthinking this.  You don't have to use the "standard" layout that most people use, but you should realize that they are used for a reason.  They aren't all that uncomfortable to begin with.  I wouldn't even know where to begin if I stepped up to that control panel.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

Ghoward

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2021, 10:45:22 pm
  • Mame rocks!!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 03:31:53 pm »
The joysticks are too far away from the buttons.

Gary

Pacific Ripper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 03:36:10 pm »
Thanks for the input. the reason for the  button setup is for the X Arcade Encoder that I am going to use. I will adjust the placement of the joysticks and buttons and I'll post a revised image on this thread.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 04:25:05 pm by pacificripper »

skid_68

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2022, 07:25:30 pm
  • Hmmmmmmmm....
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 03:40:53 pm »
Look at it like this. How often are you going to use ALL your fingers pressing buttons at once? Never, You only some of the time hit two buttons at once. Most of the time you will only be pressing one button with one finger, jumping around the button layout. Think about it.

Pacific Ripper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 09:15:32 pm »
Well, some fighting games will have you press up to four buttons at a time. Since I am into that genre, I want a design that provides ease in doing that. Maybe I'll just use the X Arcade's layout.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 09:16:17 pm by pacificripper »

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 09:22:13 pm »
the reason for the  button setup is for the X Arcade Encoder that I am going to use
why would the encoder you're going to use have anything to do with dictating where your buttons are placed?  You should be able to put them on the backside of your machine, if you so wish, and the encoder just tells your computer "When I press this button - which I don't care where it is - I'm supposed to send this certain signal.

It's the top row of buttons that prolly everyone is commenting on.  If that's your "home row", you've gotta have some wicked long fingers, or you are super precise about finger RE placement after moving them from a button.

Look at it like this. How often are you going to use ALL your fingers pressing buttons at once? Never, You only some of the time hit two buttons at once. Most of the time you will only be pressing one button with one finger, jumping around the button layout. Think about it.
Right.  Think about it.  Although you are prolly trying to tell him it's ok, you are reinforcing my point, and others.  If the buttons are spaced as far apart as they are, it WILL be harder to reposition your fingers, as well as making it MUCH more difficult in performing certain combos in btmups or other such "combo move" button pressing games.

And the layout seems as Jakobud says.  Either you've got to stand at an angle, or move your elbow so far out like a chicken wing as to become uncomfortable after only a few minutes of play.  That "splaying" of the buttons prolly wouldn't be as uncomfortable if it were more formed like the guy's mouth in my assessment of the layout  :(  Ouchie.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

Pacific Ripper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 10:06:09 pm »
Well, As far as the X arcade encoder, it is not programmable when used with a console such as the X Box. This would not be such a big deal if I could reprogram the encoder, but that function is only for the PC. So... I did want a better layout than what X Arcade had for their control panel, and through trial and error, I'll eventually get there, I hope. Thank you all for your input into this. All the criticisms help. Anyways, here's a revised version of what I had before.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 11:59:12 pm by Pacific Ripper »