Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CP layout.. comments please  (Read 2601 times)

John

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2004, 06:03:19 pm
  • I'm a llama!
CP layout.. comments please
« on: August 26, 2002, 03:04:58 am »
I started my CP construction yesterday and I'm just about done with it (except for placing the buttons and joysticks, still waiting for them to get here from happ)

Here's a pic of the construction and the old panel versus the new one.

A pic during the construction of the new CP area.

couple pics of the CP area comparing to the old beat up panel.

a mock up of the layout.

I figure I'll put player 1 and 2 in the middle (each with 7 buttons) and players 3 and 4 on the edges (each with 4 buttons)  I'll put the coins button on front of the panel (not shown) and players 1-4 start on top.  The two red nobs would be where the spinners would go.

Construction was a lot easier than I thought, I think I'm getting to the harder and the funnest part (button and joystick placement) and would appreciate any ideas.

oh yeah. the new panels comes out with 3 bolts (since it's around 4 ft long)

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
Re:CP layout.. comments please
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2002, 03:21:51 am »
well,
dont you have to make angles for p3 and p4.

not to be rude :) but you dont want p3 and p4 sides right in the stomach.you gotta make 45 degree angle cuts.

John

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2004, 06:03:19 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2002, 03:28:49 am »
Hmm..

good point snaake.  I was going to have players 3 and 4's controls straight, but I slanted them so it won't look so weird.  I'll have to experiment some more.  

maybe it's okay to have 3 and 4 to have that corner in the stomach (since having 4 people playing at the same time isn't very common)

another thought: having 3 and 4 joystick straight would make playing smash tv better!  maybe I can add a button on top of the joystick (player 1 or 2) for assault.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2002, 10:44:27 am »

If your panel length is 32inches long... you can do something like the pic here.

I think you will have a tough time playing the trackballs through those controls.    Maybe make a set of metal swing arms that hook on the sides of cab, and swing out to lock in place - in the front of the machine... or maybe a pull out type drawer.

Good Luck :)

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2002, 10:48:31 am »

Ooops... btw,  the 2 joys that have ONLY 3 buttons are the rotating opticals.  Not too good for fighters... but decent for all arround 4player games like gauntlet, and the optical games  as well : )

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2002, 06:25:14 pm »
That panel really over-whealms your cabinet.  You might consider upgrading the cab or getting another one just for 4 player games.  There is  a reason that most 4 player games on had 3 buttons per player and those buttons were arranged in a triangle pattern.  If you make it any wider it looks odd.  They did this not onlyto simplify the controller but also to save space.  If you make a 4 player panel you can get away with the 6 buttons per for player's 1 and two but that's about it.... no space for trackballs, spinners, ect..... Any thing else makes it look extremely cluttered, no offense to the previous poster.  Also snake is right, you really need to round off those corners, it will make it look better too.  

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
Cool Cabinet Ideas! : )
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2002, 06:26:14 am »

Hmm... heres a few ideas I thought up that some may find helpfull...

Have the 3rd and 4th players use control pads that dangle off the sides.   If you think about it... there arnt that many times when you have 4 people over that want to play a 4 player game... and even if so... they probably wouldnt care if they had to take the pads.  Besides, those 4players dont need as much accuracy as say... the 2player fighters. (not to mention... you might save some money and construction time)  ((altough, if you dont have 2 sets of close sticks... robotron or smash tv wont be very fun))

Next... is the idea of a 'fold-out' trackball panel.   Basically, attach a 2nd smaller controll panel (dual trackballs - and spinners?) to the front of the original control panel using door hinges.  

The panel would hang down in front while playing fighters... and then just make a simple prop-up/locking mechanism, and its level and ready to rock : )   The great thing about it is that there is nearly no change over time,  no cables to connect/disconnect, no clutter, no reaching-straining or fumbling arround other controls to play them : )

Finally, something that I havnt seen dont yet either... is to say... mount devices on swinging arms (hinges again :) on either side of the cab.  Steering wheels would probably work very well for this.  

One of my other older ideas was also to make telescopic surround speaker holders.  Basically, take 4 pipes (2 larger pipes, and 2 smaller ones that fit inside the larger pipes) and mount them to the top of a cab.  Then, mount hanging speakers to them.   You can have them behind the players so that the sound is more realistic and also, no wires to trip on... or external mounts elsewhere.   Simply slide (retract) them twords the cab when done... to make it look nice when not in use.  : )

What do ya thinks?

Peace

:)

Bursar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2005, 06:57:07 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2002, 08:23:00 am »
I thought about the fold-out bit when I was initialy designing my CP.

My main concern was making a support for it that would be strong enough to support sombody leaning on it. You tend to be wary of stuff like that when it's your own equipment, but during a beer fuelled gaming session, I can imagine some of my friends forgetting. Before you know it they snap the thing in half :(

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2002, 12:59:34 pm »
btw, having player1 and 2 in the middle is why I spend so much time in JFront controlling the default.cfg files.  I can have 4player games with one setup and 2 player games with another... VERY nice.  Plus when I'm alone or with one friend... I can pretend that I have a 2player control panel plugged in and it will setup 4player games with only 2 controls...

As for the controller... I STRONGLY recommend trying to get a hotswap setup.  Where you can change your control panel with just a plug or two.  Why?  making more control panels is fun (1) and you can fit more on when you don't have the extras that you don't need.

ie.  4player cp should have 4 buttons each... there isn't a 4 player cabinet with more.  

also...  if you can get them all in without angling the player 1 and 4 then you can use the same control panel with 2 player smash tv and 2 player total carnage (worth it in my book)... but doing so, means you need some more space.... this is where removing the spinners and buttons 5 and 6 on the middle ones help.  So you make the 4player CP a little cramped... but thats ok for 4 player games.

Then... after all that...

its better to play 2player games with a little room... so you have a cp with them spread out a bit.  Nice if you have friends who sweat and stink...

Then... making a classic cp is great... 4way joysticks... leaf switch buttons...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2002, 01:13:16 pm »

its better to play 2player games with a little room... so you have a cp with them spread out a bit.  Nice if you have friends who sweat and stink...

Sure blame your friends for that smell.  ;P

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2002, 04:10:34 pm »

I thought about the fold-out bit when I was initialy designing my CP.

My main concern was making a support for it that would be strong enough to support sombody leaning on it. You tend to be wary of stuff like that when it's your own equipment, but during a beer fuelled gaming session, I can imagine some of my friends forgetting. Before you know it they snap the thing in half :(

Yeah... Thats a tough one.  Maybe a set of metal cables that go from the control panel to the cabinet sides (like half a bridge).   The cabinet sides having a re-inforced 2*4 on the inside - and a thick eyehole bolt that stick out.  The cables then would s-hook (or another better linking device) to the bolts.