Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is this really a Vector Monitor? If so...  (Read 1916 times)

XtraSmiley

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 09:29:46 pm
  • Kill the Big Dog
Is this really a Vector Monitor? If so...
« on: July 15, 2004, 06:02:54 pm »
Is this really a Vector Monitor?  If so, why does it look so crappy?  I can see pixels all over the place.  I was hoping to do a Vector MAME with this, but my computer monitor makes a better looking Vector display.  Can someone look at these and tell me if what the heck is going on?  As you can see from the in game pics, all the lines look like dotted lines and I can see the pixels all over the place.

If it is a Vector Monitor, do they all look like this?   I really thought they looked much cleaner than this.  could this be a regular monitor someone through into this cab with a Gravitar PCB?  Can you even do that?  Could I buy a Tempest and hook it up to a regular monitor?  If it is a Vector Monitor, maybe it's close to the end of it's life or something, or maybe it's settings are off.  Anyhelp would be great!  I also need to know some answers by tomorrow as that is when I'm set to buy this thing, and I won't do it if it's not the real deal. Thanks everyone!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 12:06:38 pm by XtraSmiley »
hearingprotectionBIGDOG@yahooBIGDOG.com

Kill the Dog man.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re:Is this really a Vector Monitor? If so...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 06:10:41 pm »
Yes indeed that's a Wells-Gardner X-Y (vector) monitor. The convergence is way out of adjustment. Maybe someone has played with the convergence magnet (rings with levers on them) on the neck or the yoke has slipped out of position from rough cabinet handling.

XtraSmiley

• Offline Offline
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 06:13:56 pm »
Thanks Key, you are the MAN!  Is that something that is easy to fix?  Also, at the bottom, where it looks like it is two images, that is not accurate, I must have moved the camera.  It actually lines up perfect, BUT all the lines look dotted.  Will adjusting the convergence fix that problem or is that just how it is?  If so, I don't really see all the hoopla over Vector Monitors b/c they look the exact same to me.  Let me know your thoughts please.

Kill the Dog man.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 06:18:46 pm »
Oh....I see now. I thought there was an actual double image an that's why I said convergence of the monitor yoke and neck rings. If everything actually lines up then the monitor is ok and the game board may have a problem with a digital-to-analog converter or vector generator chip. That would require sending the game board to a repair facility like www.eldoradogames.com for repair.

XtraSmiley

• Offline Offline
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 06:23:31 pm »
Shoot, I just don't know, maybe I was just expecting too much from the monitor.  I just remember games like Star Wars and Tempest and Asteroids looking so much cleaner.  Is there a screen shot of a Vector game anywhere where I can look at the lines to see?  This game has had less than 3,000 plays on it, I can't believe something is wrong with it and I hate to get it if I have to pay to repair it.  Are there any adjustments I can make on the monitor itself?  I didn't see the standard control panel, heck I didn't even see a model number except on that box to the left.  Can you tell me which monitor it is?  I have super high rez pics I can post if you need.  Thanks again.

Kill the Dog man.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 07:00:37 pm »
That's exactly the same monitor used in Tempest. It's a Wells K6100. You could try softening the focus control on the high voltage cage to slightly 'de-focus' the picture which may hide the dots in the lines.

XtraSmiley

• Offline Offline
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 08:02:27 pm »
Actually, when I zoom on the box on the lef in the first pic the number says

K6401 is that part of the monitor or something else?

Kill the Dog man.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 12:34:10 am »
6401, 6100 are virtually the same monitor. The 6401 is a tad newer though.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 09:52:47 am »
Something is definitely wrong with the monitor or the game board.  I have a color vector in my basement that is as sharp as sharp gets.  It's like moving lasers on the screen.  BRIGHT lasers.

I've never actually seen a vector game do that.  Are you sure, Ken, that that's still a real 6401?  Could someone have replaced the tube somehow or reaped that one part from a 6401?  That sure looks like pixels and a vector monitor doesn't even HAVE pixels AFAIK.

MonitorGuru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2005, 11:29:43 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 10:28:22 am »
Other than the yoke and deflection angle, a vector tube is identical to a raster tube.

19VLUP22 is a 100 degree tube, while most raster monitors used 19VLJP22's, a 90 degree tube, however I know people have posted some raster chassis have used 100 degree tubes, and in fact I have a 100 degree tube out of a circa 1981 Magnavox TV set (raster).

People have successfully transplanted raster TV tubes in for vector tubes, and the label on that tube appears to be the original RCA label placed on their tubes in the 80's, so I seriously doubt it is a swapped tube.

It appears to be convergence or video output related to me, but I do not know much about vector monitors.

XtraSmiley

• Offline Offline
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 03:54:26 pm »
Well I got it.  It's one of the best Gravitars I've ever seen, it's only had 2 previous owners and I doubt it's been in an Arcade ever.  It only shows 2,400 games and they guys who had it before me didn't know how to set it on free play, so I think those might really be it!  It's super clean AND the instruction sheet on the back door is still white, this thing is nice, everything but the monitor!  I adjusted the sharpness in the back, so now it's sharp, but it still looks like it uses dotted lines.  Can someone with a Tempest or better yet Star Wars tell me if your lines are dotted like my pics?  Please ignore the double image, that is definatly the camera as it's all a single image.  Thanks!

Kill the Dog man.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 09:39:42 am »
I have a Space Duel, not sure of which monitor as I just got it a week or so ago, but I can tell you mine most definitely does not have any dotting of that sort.  Mine could use a bit of convergence fine tuning but the lines are crisp and continuous.

XtraSmiley

• Offline Offline
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 11:31:05 am »
I have a Space Duel, not sure of which monitor as I just got it a week or so ago, but I can tell you mine most definitely does not have any dotting of that sort.  Mine could use a bit of convergence fine tuning but the lines are crisp and continuous.

Any chance you could post a picture?  So now I'm like, WTF!  I even looked at an ebay auction for a Gravitar, that had screen shots and they look like mine, dotted.  Maybe this monitor is a POS?  Maybe there is a way to adjust the output?  Anyone?

Kill the Dog man.

eli curtz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2004, 02:51:09 pm
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 12:06:01 pm »
I know very little about this topic, but could it have anything to do with those images being generated in color? Wouldn't it need to target specific phosphors to do that, just like a normal color monitor - that could make it look pixelated.
Look. This... is all a mistake. I'm just a compound interest program. I work at a savings and loan! I can't play these video games!

XtraSmiley

• Offline Offline
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 12:09:13 pm »
True, but the guy above says his SD is perefect lines, and SD is in color also.  Also, Tempest is color as is Star Wars and I remember them being unbroken lines.... dang!  Anyway, here is a picture of the guys Gravitar on ebay:

http://www.myphotopartner.com/itemphotos.asp?cs=P065&ASID=U00000167030&d=y&cp=008

Heehee, he says his is "museum quality" but mine is in better shape (at least from the photo's).  Anyway, his lines as seen in this pic are dotted also.  Well, thanks to everyone who helped answer questions about this.  I realize this is a BYOC forum, but you guys have always come through with answers to tough questions!  Thanks everyone!

Kill the Dog man.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 08:38:06 am »
I recently found a vector cocktail game that also had the little 'lines' you speak of.  I think it's from lighting the individual phosphors, as one has already said.  I've haven't seen this in a BW vector like Asteroids, buy hey, I'm young.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2004, 04:13:35 pm »
True, but the guy above says his SD is perefect lines, and SD is in color also.  Also, Tempest is color as is Star Wars and I remember them being unbroken lines.... dang!

Space Duel is color.  You'll note that Space Duel does not comprise of a lot of long straight lines... a lot of small jagged lines and weird shapes, but not long lines.  I can take some pics if you'd like.

XtraSmiley

• Offline Offline
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2004, 06:16:52 pm »
Well yes I know it has a lot of different lines, the question is that are the lines solid or dotted.  See my picture above?  Lots of different lines going in different angles, but it looks dotted.  If you don't understand what I'm talking about, taking a picture would just help me a lot.  Thanks!

Kill the Dog man.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2004, 09:05:44 am »
Well yes I know it has a lot of different lines, the question is that are the lines solid or dotted.  See my picture above?  Lots of different lines going in different angles, but it looks dotted.  If you don't understand what I'm talking about, taking a picture would just help me a lot.  Thanks!

Yes, I understand what you're talking about.  What I was trying to say is that with a lot of short, jagged lines, you're not going to see nearly as obvious pixellation as you would with longer lines in a game such as Tempest.  Your brain is going to fill the rest in before even processing the light information.  When you have longer lines to correct, it's not going to happen as fast.

Anyway, I took a good close look at mine last night.  It does in fact have that type of dotted appearance, though not to the order that yours does.  You have to go looking for them, which is why I hadn't noticed before.  Now I wonder if mine has the original tube, or if maybe yours has a different tube.  I haven't opened my cab up yet as the back door lock is broken and I haven't had reason to drill it out yet.

XtraSmiley

• Offline Offline
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2004, 04:51:03 pm »
Well, cool.  Yours is probably a 6100 but mine is a 6401 a later model Vecotor monitor which doesn't  have much info out there.

Kill the Dog man.