Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Current draw question - running PC & amp off 1 PSU?  (Read 2570 times)

Blakey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2009, 09:28:31 am
  • ?
Current draw question - running PC & amp off 1 PSU?
« on: June 15, 2004, 06:55:11 am »
I had originally planned to put a creative inspire 2.1 connected to two 5" car speakers into my cocktail, but have since decided not to due to lack of space.

The new plan is to put in a small car amp to power the speakers, but how do I power it?

I don't want to have to put in another PSU (lack of space again), so I'm wondering if I can run the PC and amp from the one PSU without the voltage sagging.

Computer: Athlon XP2000+ on a microATX board with onboard GF4mx & sound/LAN, 512mb ram, 1 7200rpm HDD. Nothing else connected to draw power except for an occasional USB joystick/card reader.

Amp: Don't have it yet, but a small 2 channel car amp, 200W PMPO (so not much!)

PSU: Antec SL350 (http://www.antec.com/specs/sl350_spe.html), which has 8-16A (min-max) on the 12V line.

I can't see the PC & amp drawing so much power that it can't supply enough (keeping in mind the weakass Inspire 2.1 used a 12V 1.5A supply), but could someone more informed enlighten me?

I also planned on putting a smaller amperage fuse in the amp (so if it's 8A (likely to be this or less, a friend is running the same amp from a 200W yumcha 8A PSU) I'd swap for a 5A, so the fuse will blow before the PSU and subsequently PC suffers.

Finally, the amp has a remote connection, to turn on when the car stereo turns on, any ideas how to send a voltage from the PSU/PC to this connection to do the same thing?

Opinions?