Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Errors?  (Read 5365 times)

DennisInMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2023, 02:50:53 pm
  • gunga, gunga ga lunga
Errors?
« on: June 01, 2004, 04:01:59 pm »
I have been working through the book building my first ever cab and I think I have found a couple of errors.  I do not have the book on me so I cannot say the exact pages but I wanted to post this while I was thinking about it.

The first potential error is in installing the back top angled section.  If memory servers, when attaching the support strips I think the book says to place them 3/4" from the top of the cabinet sides.  I believe this should actually be another 3/4" from the top so that the actual angled piece is 3/4" from the sides like the other pieces.  Again, I am doing this form memory so maybe I am mistaken and just read it incorrectly.

The next error is in the monitor shelf installation.  The text says to make sure the monitor shelf is flush with the front of the cab while the picture of this looks to have the monitor shelf recessed about 3/4".  I would assume that flush with the front of the cab is correct since the control panel will be sitting flush with the monitor shelf.

Anyway, let me know if I am the only one seeing these and if so I will try to find some more of this crack I have been smoking.  ;)

DennisInMN

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2024, 09:08:32 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
Re:Errors?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 10:48:37 pm »
Cabinet back angled section:

Dang, you're 100% right! That's an error. Look for an errata coming soon. Thanks for catching that one!

Monitor shelf:

Right again... On the bottom of page 396 I actually mention how my original placement of the shelf was incorrect and had to be fixed. However, my editors and I both missed that Figure 2-22 showed the incorrect mounting.

Good catches both! Thanks!

--- saint

-----------------------------------

I have been working through the book building my first ever cab and I think I have found a couple of errors.  I do not have the book on me so I cannot say the exact pages but I wanted to post this while I was thinking about it.

The first potential error is in installing the back top angled section.  If memory servers, when attaching the support strips I think the book says to place them 3/4" from the top of the cabinet sides.  I believe this should actually be another 3/4" from the top so that the actual angled piece is 3/4" from the sides like the other pieces.  Again, I am doing this form memory so maybe I am mistaken and just read it incorrectly.

The next error is in the monitor shelf installation.  The text says to make sure the monitor shelf is flush with the front of the cab while the picture of this looks to have the monitor shelf recessed about 3/4".  I would assume that flush with the front of the cab is correct since the control panel will be sitting flush with the monitor shelf.

Anyway, let me know if I am the only one seeing these and if so I will try to find some more of this crack I have been smoking.  ;)

DennisInMN
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 11:13:15 pm »
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 06:00:47 pm »
Some updates to the keyboard encoder sections.  I notice the min-pac took off the 36 input version on the website.  The mk64 is no longer available. "01-29-2004   The MK64 is no longer availible for sale. Sorry for any inconvenience."

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 06:38:44 pm »
Yeah, the problem with putting something in print :)  At least 3 vendors made changes between the time the book was put to bed and actually came out in the stores.

Fodder for version 2! :)

--- saint

Some updates to the keyboard encoder sections.  I notice the min-pac took off the 36 input version on the website.  The mk64 is no longer available. "01-29-2004   The MK64 is no longer availible for sale. Sorry for any inconvenience."
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

marsmarvin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2004, 12:21:47 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 12:19:08 am »
Saint:

Dittos on the awesome book.

Next edition might mention MLCS LTD as a vendor that sells slot cutting router bits.  Here's the URL:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_slot.html

You recommend a 3/32 " bit.  This made a slot just a little too wide for the 3/4" black t-molding I bought from tmolding.com.  No big whoop, I'll just use a little glue.  But on my next cab I'm going to try a 1/16" slot cutter.

Matt, GoC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2005, 02:00:07 am
  • Must... stop... itching!!!
    • GameOn!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 02:27:51 am »
Saint:

Next edition might mention MLCS LTD as a vendor that sells slot cutting router bits.  Here's the URL:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_slot.html

You recommend a 3/32 " bit.  This made a slot just a little too wide for the 3/4" black t-molding I bought from tmolding.com.  No big whoop, I'll just use a little glue.  But on my next cab I'm going to try a 1/16" slot cutter.

I second that.  Although I used their 5/64" slot cutter and it came out PERFECT.  The molding goes in with just a bit of force from a fist but is a real #%$*& to get back out.  That defines perfect in my book.  No glue required.

Thomas.T

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2004, 01:53:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 10:31:19 am »
Saint:

Next edition might mention MLCS LTD as a vendor that sells slot cutting router bits.

Gunstar Hero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
Re: Errors?
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 04:15:38 pm »
Since I am using a WG9200 arcade monitor, leaving this hole would be very dangerous and possibly death if my kids stick their finger in it. Another disappointment that I have to go back to the hardware store and bought another

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 02:07:47 am »
I too went and bought a 3/32 slot cutting router bit, and found out I need to go back to the hardware store to buy some glue for the T-molding. I end up wasting more time and money.  Moreover, also discovered there was a large hole in the back of the cabinet after putting everything together, which Saint never mentioned anything about it in the book.

Since I am using a WG9200 arcade monitor, leaving this hole would be very dangerous and possibly death if my kids stick their finger in it. Another disappointment that I have to go back to the hardware store and bought another
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
Re: Errors?
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 06:20:46 pm »
I was going to ask the same question Dennis did, because I encountered the same problem. I thought I'd done it wrong, but realized I'd followed the book's instructions a couple of days ago and just wasn't sure.   I didn't want to be rude, because our cabinet would have never been built had Saint not put all this info in one place (thanks man!) but I was concerned - thought I was crazy (probably am, but that's a different story).

One more thing that MAY need to be changed - on page 45 and 46, mounting the speaker shelf, the book says "draw a line that continues the top (horizontal) angle of the cabinet side that leads into the curve."  Did that.  Don't know that angle was perfect, but am also told "precise angle is not critical."  Ok, fine so far.

The problem appears to be on page 46 - "draw a line parallel to this line 3/4" higher. This top line represents the bottom of your speaker shelf."  What I discovered was that if I had used the bottom line, not the top line, as the bottom of my speaker shelf, everything would have been recessed 3/4". 

At any rate, even though the back pieces are flush, the cabinet is stable, solid, and beautiful.  My parents, who have never seen me pick up a power tool, can't get over it and show it off  at every opportunity (it's in my Dad's shop).

Once again, despite the errors, it's an awesome book and kudos again Saint for being brave enough to write it...then sit back and watch some of us go "yeah, but this is slightly off" :)

RTSDaddy2