Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Problems with Wireing Control Panel  (Read 1745 times)

Skipp2k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2002, 09:48:17 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Problems with Wireing Control Panel
« on: July 31, 2002, 01:14:18 pm »
Can any one help, first of all I can not seem to get my oscar spinner working with the opti-pac, I connected it to the P1 rptary connectors and try to test it out with arkanoid and it won;t move the bat.  My trakeball seems to move it ok, so it can;t be mame.

Also I was wondering if it would be ok to connect all the common connections to the i-pac ground using just one long bare wire, instead of connecting each with a seperate piece.

Looks like I have to redo all the wireing again because one button don;t seem to work and the joystick seems to be moving in the wrong direction, with the joysticks do you connect the right microswitch to the left i-pac connector.

And one last thing has anybody got two joysticks of diffrent brands working on the same ports on the i-pac, ie a happ rotory joystick and also a t-stick.

Thanks in advance guys.

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
Re:Problems with Wireing Control Panel
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2002, 01:21:28 pm »
Make sure that the Opti-PAC jumper is set to A/Lo for the rotary input.  There is also a schematic and some trouble-shooting info at www.oscarcontrols.com on the Support page.  If you have any questions, please email me.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
Re:Problems with Wireing Control Panel
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 06:26:27 am »

Also I was wondering if it would be ok to connect all the common connections to the i-pac ground using just one long bare wire, instead of connecting each with a seperate piece.

Don't use separate wires.  Actually your best solution is to run your wiring in a closed loop to all connections and back to ground.  I.e. I-pac ground to button 1 ground, button 1 ground to button 2 ground, button 2 ground to button 3 ground . . .  to joystick switches grounds . . . to I-PAC ground.

This way is one wire comes breaks in the middle, the circuit will still work until you lose two wires.

This is described in more detail by Bob Roberts about halfway down the page at http://www.dameon.net/BBBB/plus.html

Looks like I have to redo all the wireing again because one button don;t seem to work and the joystick seems to be moving in the wrong direction, with the joysticks do you connect the right microswitch to the left i-pac connector.

Think about what's actually happening (looking down at the joystick):  As you move the handle upward, the stick pivots and the bottom of the stick closes the lower joystick microswitch.  So yes, you wire them up backwards.

Don't feel bad, I would have done the same thing, except I read that on one of the example pages here.

And one last thing has anybody got two joysticks of diffrent brands working on the same ports on the i-pac, ie a happ rotory joystick and also a t-stick.

I think I answered this in a different thread, but yes you can, except they will "fight" with each other for control.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.