Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Swappable desktop control panel  (Read 2318 times)

jcoleman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:05:19 pm
  • RTFM
Swappable desktop control panel
« on: May 23, 2004, 12:02:23 pm »
Several ideas came together in this one.  I've been wanting to build a Mortal Kombat-style cabinet for a while, mainly due to the size of the control panel and the ease with which the top could be swapped.  Unfortunately I don't have the space for an MK cab, and I only have room for my MAMEd Galaxian cab (still unfinished...) in the basement.  Since that only plays vertical games, I thought maybe I'd build a desktop control panel to tide me over until I have room for the MK cab.  I figured I had the parts laying around, so I might as well build a prototype...

I decided to go ahead and incorporate my swappable panels idea into this panel, even though it's a desktop...it would give me good experience on building it and see if my ideas would work.  So here it is, the world's first swappable desktop control panel!

jcoleman

• Offline Offline
  • RTFM
Re:Swappable desktop control panel
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 12:04:38 pm »
I've not gotten around to wiring it yet...I literally just finished building it.  I have a MiniPAC waiting to go in this, as soon as I figure out how I want to mount it.  Keep in mind that this is just a prototype built from scrap wood...I plan to build it for real *next* weekend!  :)

jcoleman

• Offline Offline
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 12:07:58 pm »
Yes, that's a NOS 4-way Wico...jealous, aren't you?  ;)

The buttons are standard iL from Happ, thanks to Peale.  I've also used two of Peale's fantastic black 1p and 2p buttons.  The outer sticks are NOS 8-way Wicos with blue Robotron-length handles.  The center stick is the 4-way with a black handle.  The single black button is the pause button.  Since this is for desktop use, I didn't need any admin buttons.  (Not that you'd ever need them with an IPAC)

jcoleman

• Offline Offline
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 12:12:47 pm »
Lastly, you can see the mechanism for holding down the panel.  These are standard cabinet door roller latches, the very kind you might have in your kitchen cabinet.  They're only about 75 cents a piece, and with four of them, the panel is held in surprisingly well.  I plan to refine this a little by adding guide rails to the front and back of the underside of the top panel.  The panel can actually move slightly in the box, but only when you hold the box still and push the panel.  I may not even need this refinement.  I must confess that I stole this idea from the modular panel project posted recently, but good engineering is good engineering, so I don't feel bad about it.  :)  I'd recommend it to anyone trying to make a swappable/modular panel.  

That's all for now...more pics when I've finished!

AmericanDemon

• The Reason the short bus was invented... 100% Slacker Guaranteed, 4:20 yet?
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2019, 11:08:03 pm
  • Still an AmericanDemon
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 02:09:16 pm »
Very good work.  I like the design.  I cannot wait for the finished product.

DaveMMR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 02:10:05 pm »
Pretty sweet.   The roller latches are something I plan to use to, I've heard good things.

AlanS17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 07:05:37 pm »
Those roller latches are a damn good idea. Sure beats the velcro alternatice I've seen.

However, I must question why you would want a modular desktop control panel. Why not just multiple control panels? Is it for the practice?

jcoleman

• Offline Offline
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 07:49:47 pm »
However, I must question why you would want a modular desktop control panel. Why not just multiple control panels? Is it for the practice?

It's both for the practice and for the only-having-to-buy-one-MiniPAC.  :)

However, I've just devised an extraordinary method for building a collapsible MK-style cabinet that will fit through my computer room door.  Unfortunately this margin is too small to contain it...  ;)

Thanks to all for the compliments...I may skip the further refinement and un-prototyping of this and move on to the big project...assuming I get the raise I'm expecting.  :)

Coleman