Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Starting Arcade Project- input appreciated  (Read 1770 times)

GrandmasterNeil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2004, 02:55:25 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Starting Arcade Project- input appreciated
« on: May 20, 2004, 03:06:01 pm »
This is my first cab project as well as my first time posting on these forums.  I am very excited to get started and any and all advice as well as examples and pics are GREATLY appreciated.

I want the cab to be able to accomodate 4 players comfortably while at the same time not being too overbearing size-wise.  I will be painting my own custom art on the sides as well as the marquee.  I would prefer a 1 piece design.

One other thing I am concerned about is shielding.  I am planning on dropping a car amp and a few speakers into the cab to drive the sound.  Has anyone had problems with the speaker magnets gaussing the TV or effecting computer operations?  Any know how to circumvent this?

I will post pictures of my plans as soon as I hook up my scanner.

Thanks in advance,
-Neil.

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
Re:Starting Arcade Project- input appreciated
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 09:15:06 pm »
It's a big trade-off when it comes to four players (actually everything is a trade off when you build panels).  It's going to be wider than you may like it to be but they'll be plenty of room or you can make it compact and let everyone cramp together like an unwelcome game of twister.  Check out some of the cabs on KLOV to get some ideas of what 4-player cabs look like (ignore Gauntlet though - I always thought that was a horribly designed panel - my opinion at least).  Also the examples page has a lot of good 4-player cabs that don't look too wide but still fit four comfortably.

As for the speakers - someone else may be able to help you better with that.   If you're not using it as a jukebox though I would say, once again my opinion, that simpler speakers would be fine.  

GrandmasterNeil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2004, 02:55:25 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Starting Arcade Project- input appreciated
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 09:23:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I will check out KLOV.  I did have in mind for the arcade to be a jukebox when not playing games, thus the need for a better, more balanced system.

-Neil.