Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Starting the cabinet all at once. It works! And here's how...  (Read 43896 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:20:08 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Re:Starting the cabinet all at once. It works! And here's how...
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2004, 08:57:24 am »
i should just point out here for any who arent familiar with electronic parts is that a capacitor wants to absorb energy instantly. its like a battery that instantly charges or discharges. so when its not charged it behaves like a short. once it has charged up to the applied voltage its voltage potential is the same as the applied voltage and so it behaves as if its open circuit. its not often desirable to have it charge or discharge instantly (for instance, my watch is a seiko kinetic. its powered by a capacitor which is charged up by a swinging weight). luckily adding resistance to the circuit slows it down proportional to the resistance.
just mentioning this in case anyone wondered how it works. there are no moving parts.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

independentthread

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2005, 07:16:10 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2004, 08:10:36 pm »
its not often desirable to have it charge or discharge instantly

This once again begs the question, is it not disrable for for JUST the capacitor, or will it harm the motherboard in time?  I live in an apartment complex where people consistently buy replacement electronics and have the decency to leave the old ones NEXT to the dumpster.  I have an endless supply of junk television sets and broken radios and the like.  If the capcitor is the the only thing that is going to be damged, the only tears I might cry will be from sweat dripping in my eye as I rip apart a 30 year old TV cabinet.
The default personal text is is "I'm a llama!"???  I guess that makes me an emperor with a new a groove.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2004, 09:03:04 pm »
No damage will come to the motherboard.  It's just releasing the current (which is miniscule) which was built up in it.  Really, the cap is so tiny.  Just make sure you use a cap that's rated small (like 10uF)

independentthread

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2005, 07:16:10 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2004, 09:41:36 pm »
Awesome, I'm taking mine that route then.
The default personal text is is "I'm a llama!"???  I guess that makes me an emperor with a new a groove.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2004, 05:30:44 am »
i guess this is why im not a college lecturer!! Im always forgetting things in my explanations. The two reasons its not desirable is that you usually want to have a timed charge or discharge, and yes in some cases the second reason is that it might cause damage somewhere else. Its safe  in the situation on the motherboard because 1) there is already a high effective resistance in that circuit and 2) as Peale said you are using a fairly small capacitance. The time is effected by capacitance x resistance. Capacitors have very small ratings. This keeps the formula simple since it is ohms x farads = time in seconds. The measurements for resistance and time (ohms and seconds) already existed when capacitance was first measured, so that means a farad is quite large. I think a 1 Farad cap would be roughly the size of a filing cabinet and would probably discharge through a brick wall!!

edit: i've since found i was way off on the cap size. it seems a 1 farad cap is about the size of two cans of beer end to end (low voltage rating for stereos).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 10:18:35 am by danny_galaga »

Nefesis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2007, 11:28:22 am
  • psst... star wars... it's the greatest!!!
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2004, 09:28:12 am »
if i was using one of these switches from happs, does anyone know which i would use? they're under Amusement-Accessories-On/Off Switch (sorry, but i'm not sure how to put a link to happ's pages  ::) )

General Zod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2005, 03:58:28 pm
  • Banned
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2004, 02:50:18 pm »
PEALE :   ???

Following the diagram you made, and trying also to keep everything simple and authentic ... How do I make sure everything is grounded properly?

I mean, do I run the EarthGround wire throughout my cab? Same applies to the E.ground wire from the PC cord, and the little piece hanging off the ISO ( in the diagram )... Where does all that go to?

Also, shouldn't something attach to the monitor frame for grounding?

Any help you could/would provide will be taken like scripture. Thank you in advance.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 02:51:57 pm by General Zod »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2004, 03:08:21 pm »
Following the diagram you made, and trying also to keep everything simple and authentic ... How do I make sure everything is grounded properly?

I mean, do I run the EarthGround wire throughout my cab? Same applies to the E.ground wire from the PC cord, and the little piece hanging off the ISO ( in the diagram )... Where does all that go to?

Also, shouldn't something attach to the monitor frame for grounding?

Yes, all the metal pieces should be connected to earth ground.  Not a *gospel* requirement, but it's a good way to prevent equipment damage in the event of a static buildup.

I just checked the diagram, and surely the monitor and other items are connected to earth ground.  See the little connector with the green thing hanging off?  That's the earth ground.  Should likely redraw the diagram, but this was just a quicky using Bob Roberts diagram as a template.

General Zod

• Offline Offline
  • Banned
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2004, 01:57:01 pm »
Very Good !!    ;)

Thank you Peale. I appreciate your help.

mike

General Zod

• Offline Offline
  • Banned
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2004, 02:44:50 pm »
One more dilemma ...   ???

In the picture, the main AC cord is fused before going into the filter ..... what amp fuse is acceptable for that block?

Also ... is it safe to run additional fuses for the monitor and PC? If so, same amps? Would the fuse for monitor go to the top wires or the bottom?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Michael

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2004, 03:06:38 pm »
I asked that same question once, and never got an answer.

General Zod

• Offline Offline
  • Banned
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2004, 03:16:04 pm »
I asked that same question once, and never got an answer.

I see .... and since there are only a select few who even choose to power their cab by this method instead of the SmartStrip .... chances are, nobody knows!  :-\

Perhaps a 2amp might work, as does in a normal game.  ???

Thanks anyway...

Mike

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2004, 03:17:55 pm »
Quite likely that would work.  I wouldn't fuse the computer, but everything else should be.  It's those components that I was concerned about fusing, that no one knew what rating fuse to use.

marcus.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2007, 06:01:28 pm
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2004, 11:17:34 am »
Ive only just seen this thread tonight and have to add to peales comment on grounding.  
It is important that all of the cabs metal parts that have some sort of continuity into the inside if the cab (via screws/fixtures or wiring etc) are grounded. not ony for peales static reasons, but also for your safety.
If a live wire were to come off you monitor or PSU or wiring and touch an ungrouded control panel bolt(for instance), that CP would be live when you touch it...human fuse. Dont count on paint as a good insulator.
A general rule as peale says, IMO a necessay one.

General Zod

• Offline Offline
  • Banned
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2004, 07:08:08 pm »
Okay ....  :-\

Here's my progess thus far, but I think I've run into a situation. My wiring is almost finished with the exception of one problem....(if in fact this is a problem) ;)

Wiring everything to the DistributionBlock as shown in the diagram , I am down to three simple connections ... but only two available on the block.

I'd like to save the IsolationTransformer for one connection, but that still leaves the marquee ( home depot special ), and my hacked speakers to connect.

Is it safe to wire those together and connect them to the last position on the PowerBlock? This is where I'm probably also going to need a fuse ... do ya think?   :-\

Again .... thank you in advance for your help.

Michael

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2004, 07:10:22 pm »
I don't see why not.  That's what I did.

General Zod

• Offline Offline
  • Banned
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2004, 06:34:30 pm »
I don't see why not.  That's what I did.

Whooohooo!!  ;D

I just wanted to say a quick word of thanks to you Peale !! Without your help I don't think I could have wired this cabinet the way I truly wanted. Hats off to ya , my friend !!

I've helped a few people with their MAMEcabs, but I was always doing the pc-side of it .... definitely a little different  when it comes to doing the entire haul.

I tried making the wire job as neat as possible, or at least in order. I learned you can never have enough clamps & tie-wraps.  ;)

Anyhow ... I don't have a website to host any pictures, but I at least wanted to show you this one .

Thank you again for your help.

Michael

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2004, 07:43:16 pm »

Looks good!  Just about what mine looks like, but yours is nicer.  I haven't had the time to get it 'sparkly' yet.

Mameotron

« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2004, 07:30:23 am »
Well, good job on getting the problem solved!  If I need to do any of this, I know right where to go.

Just as an afterthought, I realized recently that the mobo in my cab DOES power on when the power switch is pressed, not when it is released.  It is a Dell Optiplex GX100, rescued from the trash at work.  This tidbit may come in handy to someone someday.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2004, 10:08:31 am »
just an update on my set up. no one will probably remember but i used a relay on my system. i had noted that once in a while the system just wouldnt start up and i promised id give an update on whether it became more or less frequent. well it seems to start every time now. i suspect that as the relay 'wears' in (or out) the speed it takes to switch off has decreased (i think, it's been so long since i set it up i cant remember!)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:41:15 am by danny_galaga »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: September 14, 2004, 11:39:46 pm »
My cap trick is still working great as well.  I do need to make a slightly better solution, as sometimes the legs from  the cap pull out just a little bit, and it doesn't boot.  Not a technical problem, but an assembly issue.