Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lints Ms. Pacman Cabinet  (Read 2429 times)

lint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2008, 02:52:13 pm
Lints Ms. Pacman Cabinet
« on: May 02, 2004, 02:07:41 pm »
Hi all.

Well none of this project would have started without you guys (am i thanking or accusing? hmm...). :)

I really had my heart set on an original Pac-Man cabinet to MAME, but as you all know they are a bit hard to come by, or are always pricey. Anyhow, I managed to pickup an empty Ms. pac-man cab for $75. It had a really beat up CP, the originial bezel with the screenprinted paint chipping away, the marquee, etc. No board or monitor.

So far I have:
stipped and washed entire cab
repainted coin door and marquee brackets
replaced black t-molding
replaced kickplate
acquired new undrilled metal CP
Had new CP drilled
applied parts express vinyl
installed new flourescent light behind marquee
new coin & backdoor locks
Wired all ground wires to CP
Acquired Ipac, etc...

I still have to:
get smoked glass cut
mount monitor
finish CP -> Ipac wiring
mount computer
get speakers
get SmatStrip

Main thing I have yet to figure out is how to mount the monitor in this thing. Im gonna go with a 19" mounted horizontal. Id prefer to decase the monitor and somehow mount it to the existing mounting brackets I left in the cabinet. But i dont have many tools, etc. So not really sure how to do it...

Ive got my old 1.5ghz p4 ready to mount inside it too. The cabinet does have some scuffs, chips in the paint, etc but nothing too bad. I washed the whole thing with soap water and got a ton of it off, but some remains. i tested a few tiny spots with Goof Off, but it wanted to lift up the paint as well. I dont really mind some scuffs or worn paint. I sort of like the used look of the cab. Although someday when i can afford it Ill buy a new sideart package.

I know the CP on this style of cabinets are small, and most of you are thinking it looks too cramped but I can assure you it is a fine setup. I spent days readjusting the joystick templates just prefect to make sure there was enough room between the two players, and enough room between the joystick/buttons and the walls of the cabinet. It was a pretty delicate balance, but i think it turned out pretty good. Player 1 will just barely touch his hand against the left wall, but you quickly get used to it and adjust your wrist so nothing touches.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 02:08:45 pm by lint »

lint

• Offline Offline
Re:Lints Ms. Pacman Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 02:09:43 pm »
heres the CP

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 04:35:53 pm »
Good job, well done!

lint

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 11:24:20 pm »
finished the CP wiring today and only had to redo 2 wires. Everything else worked perfect the first time while testing on my main computer. the ipac really is a great little device.

As you can imagine, its pretty cramped under that CP, but i got everything zip tied and pretty tidy.

lint

pathdoc2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2006, 08:49:53 pm
  • Your friendly pathologist
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 10:20:30 am »
Looks good.  Nice job fitting everything on your control panel.