Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hydra Controll review... part 1  (Read 3975 times)

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Hydra Controll review... part 1
« on: April 07, 2004, 11:02:15 am »
Ok, I'll probably do a longer review in a week or so.  Images and such...  But here it is.

Being a cheap bas!@#d, but someone who LOVE starwars... I was sad to find out what a real starwars controller costs these days on ebay.  For a complete, nice starwars controller can go over $125 easy.  And if its less the 75, you are probably missing a gear.

Also, from hearing complaints about finding parts for a starwars controller I decided that I had to get an all/nothing solution.

After searching for almost a year... I finally got a break.  A $20 complete Hydra controller.  

I didn't know the difference, but I figured it would at least be good... at... hydra...  

Ok, the differences...

physically they are almost completely different.  The closest parts seem to be the metal shield that covers it.  But here is a quick list

1) X-Rotation is not handled with a shaft that goes through the base.  This doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

2) Y-Rotation is scaled.  This I thought might make a HUGE difference, but I haven't noticed any.  I would try to describe HOW the scaling is done, but a single picture would be MUCH easier.  So I'll do that later.  But all in all.  You have more detail in motion in the center.

3) Handles have have a different shape.  Closer to a stun runner gun.  Comfortable... These don't seem to be an issue.

4) Centering.  The first real complant.  It uses a spring around the the shafts which are limited.  This seems like it would be exactly the same (minus the tension difference if any)... but the trouble is this.  There is a center area with NO resistance at all... and this is VERY annoying.  moving a little to the left is harder then a wide motion across the screen.  

Also... without the center issue... it does seem to be a stronger string.

I am considering removing the centering for now and see if that seems better.  I'm not sure if it will be worth the time to remove them, but you can remove what they hit against to hopefully remove their use...

Again, a picture would be nice.

So whats the same?

Well, they use a 5k pot like a starwars controller.  
This size of the shield should take an original / repo of the starwars sticker.

And... it looks generically like the original.

As for gameplay... I'll leave that off for now.  Better then a mouse after I got used to it.  But the springs have to change.