Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games  (Read 50749 times)

Super-Becker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:50:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Link play on San Francisco Rush & all vegas/seattle games
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2024, 03:48:37 pm »
Here are the files you requested:
https://www.transfernow.net/pt/bld?utm_source=20240530HRIeSzOi

Man, what a mess you made! Many things you said are in the standard tutorial on the first page, much clearer. Other things you said are confusing, because I didn't need to do that. Rewriting the tutorial this way could make everything more confusing for a new user on the forum. Maybe I'm too much of a layman to understand, I'm sorry.

Your PCs will run MAME 300mhz well, it's worth testing.

NOTE: I suggest activating Slider Control on the track selection screen.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:14:35 pm
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2024, 07:54:15 pm »
Here are the files you requested:
https://www.transfernow.net/pt/bld?utm_source=20240530HRIeSzOi

Man, what a mess you made! Many things you said are in the standard tutorial on the first page, much clearer. Other things you said are confusing, because I didn't need to do that. Rewriting the tutorial this way could make everything more confusing for a new user on the forum. Maybe I'm too much of a layman to understand, I'm sorry.

Your PCs will run MAME 300mhz well, it's worth testing.

NOTE: I suggest activating Slider Control on the track selection screen.

EDIT: Can you clarify what exactly you did? When you install the openvpn download, it creates a tap vpn network adapter. When you install the tap download, it then automatically creates a second tap adapter. My mame was crashing with the two adapters so as a last ditch effort after a long time of troubleshooting I removed the 2nd tap adapter (using the delete batch script in the bin folder) and then I bridged my ethernet and the openvpn tap adapter as normal and mame no longer crashed. Were you able to bridge the openvpn tap adapter (created by default when installing openvpn) and the 2nd tap adapter (installed by default when installing tap software you linked to) and that worked for you? The original instructions have it bridged between the ethernet and tap adapter if I understand correctly but clarify for us.

100% agreed on trying the 300mhz 60fps. That was next on my to do list to try to get rid of the remaining car oscillations if the item discussed above is not the issue. I am wondering if the faster amd 3600 pc may have had less oscillations compared to my i7 4th gen pcs but I am still confirming. I did try some changes to the mame ini and it made no difference. However, assuming above is correct, I need to go back and test.

Also, can you confirm that your LAN games stop working when you have the bridge enabled? If needed, I was planning on using SikuliX to program the bridging (which uses AI image recognition) since Microsoft did not allow programmatic bridge ability (only Windows 11 with one of the most recent patches has it but I am on win 10). For some reason some LAN games work fine with my tap vpn bridge but others do not. For example FnF Supercars, Pixar Cars, and Chase HQ 2 worked fine with it at least for my setup. However, Mario Kart SP DX, Outrun 2  SPDX, or Daytona USA break when it was bridged. So I was thinking I could have a "before" script run from Launchbox/BigBox to run a Sikuli script to add or remove the bridge properties checkbox. Again if you know something I do not with this then let us know.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 08:55:23 pm by jorgenjl2 »

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2024, 09:27:54 pm »
It shouldn't have gone wrong for you. Maybe I installed tap first and then OpenVPN, I didn't remove anything, try this. If it doesn't work, you will definitely need more powerful processors.

I only use the bridge to play Rush, as it interferes with other games in Lan.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2024, 10:33:54 am »
It shouldn't have gone wrong for you. Maybe I installed tap first and then OpenVPN, I didn't remove anything, try this. If it doesn't work, you will definitely need more powerful processors.

I only use the bridge to play Rush, as it interferes with other games in Lan.

Can you send a screenshot of your network adapters and/or the right click properties of the tap you used? If it was anything like my install, it installed two tap adapters so it is not clear which of the two (the openvpn tap adapter or the regular tap adapter install) you bridged to the regular ethernet adapter. Since only one is used (if I understand you correctly), I wonder if we even need both of the installs you mentioned or if only one install is needed. Like I said though, I have had zero disconnects at all since using this new method. The main issue was crashing of mame and nothing would work until I removed one of the two (I believe it removed the regular tap and left the openvpn tap) though. So knowing which of the two you are using may solve the issue.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2024, 02:13:20 pm »
If I go to my tap adapter (named mame3 on my third pc as an example) and right click properties > configure > driver > driver details > it shows copyright openvpn on version 9.24.7 which is the tap version. So maybe the openvpn install is still needed to put files on your pc and the tap version is the version needed and both versions installs are needed maybe? Here is what I have after deleting the additional tap adapter with the bin file and showing the version.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2024, 05:17:44 pm »
Hope this video helps:

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2024, 12:40:32 am »
 :tool:
Hope this video helps:

This helped but doing more testing I was able to tell that installing the tap software you mentioned first and THEN the OpenVPN version you mentioned (instead of the order you showed) makes it so only one tap adapter is installed. So now everything makes sense as to why it seemed like you were being so rude about steps that were necessary (but not if we do it this way instead). I am also glad you sent the video because it appears that adding the wintun adapter checkbox to the properties of the bridge (and not just the Ethernet and tap adapter that I renamed “mameX”) got rid of a lot of the cars bouncing. I tested that wintun before uninstalling/reinstalling with this new order method. I only tested two races but at least it seemed that way. It seems really good now but I need to get more people to test my four player racers. The only thing I don’t have of yours is the “Open VPN Data Channel Offload” adapter but not sure that would help a ton or not. 

Attached is what my 4th player pc adapters look like now for example now that I used that install order and rebooted after having it setup. I just agree that we should use the versions you posted along with mostly what the OG instructions say to do (just with these updated versions and not the order of your previous post).

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2024, 09:17:53 am »
I would like to see a video of your results.
I made a video showing Rush 2049, check it out. Car oscillation is zero.

Another detail I forgot to mention is that I use high quality Cat8 ethernet cables. I believe that any help, however small, is welcome to make this game work correctly.

NOTE: I didn't mean to be rude. If I left that impression, please forgive me.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 09:48:14 am by Super-Becker »

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2024, 11:30:51 pm »
I would like to see a video of your results.
I made a video showing Rush 2049, check it out. Car oscillation is zero.

Another detail I forgot to mention is that I use high quality Cat8 ethernet cables. I believe that any help, however small, is welcome to make this game work correctly.

NOTE: I didn't mean to be rude. If I left that impression, please forgive me.
No worries at all. I figured it was a misunderstanding. I am so happy you found out how to do this and get these working as Rush the Rock is my favorite racing game.

I did some more testing and ever since I added the wintun checkbox (and possibly doing the correct order but I think it was the wintun), I get pretty much zero oscillations of cars for two players. When I have three racers join a race, I get just the smallest amount of oscillations. When I do a four player race, I get just a little more but not enough to worry about. Before the wintun checkbox, I would get cpu cars sometimes going underneath the road and then sometimes flying in the clouds when they should be on the road. That has not been seen since adding it.

The only issue I have found is when doing four player races, it sometimes starts the race with a random racer or two being against 7 other cpu cars and the other two or three being in the race together. It appears to be a timing thing on when the countdown happens to go to 0 and people accept their car and auto vs shifter. It happens maybe every third race in 4 player but it has never happened to me in a 2 player race. A 3 player I think it happened once. I will have to get some friends over to test to see if there is a trick to get around it in 4 player mode or if I just have to randomly restart and try again.

FYI I was able to automate adding the Ethernet connection to the bridge before starting Rush the Rock/Rush 2049/California Speed and then have it automate removing it from the bridge so all other games work. It works really well. I will post the code when I get a chance. I personally have it for BigBox (Launchbox) but you could probably update it just slightly for any front end. This code is for windows 10 since supposedly Microsoft added the Netsh bridge commands to win 11 (assuming on one of latest patches that has it) so having win 11 makes it easy. On win 10 it was a pain but now that we have the code it’s fairly easy.

Are you running Windows 11 or 10? I noticed on my laptop that is win 11 that installing that tap and openvpn version created the extra network offload adapter that you had but on my win 10’s it did not.

Super-Becker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2024, 08:16:59 am »
I'm glad it worked for you. I hope everyone can do this. Rush The Rock is also my favorite racing game. I think the only game that would surpass Rush The Rock would be Rush 2, if it had come out in the arcade. The creators could release Rush 2 on PC as it would have been if it had been released on the arcade back then. It would be incredible.

In my case the oscillations appear when I add the original arcade. I hope to find an old version of MAME that runs this game with more difficulty and is balanced with the arcade, without oscillations.

Select tracks and cars at the same time on all PCs.

I don't use front-end. I think it's cooler to customize desktop icons, as you can see.

I'm using Windows 11 on both PCs.

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2024, 11:15:38 pm »
I'm glad it worked for you. I hope everyone can do this. Rush The Rock is also my favorite racing game. I think the only game that would surpass Rush The Rock would be Rush 2, if it had come out in the arcade. The creators could release Rush 2 on PC as it would have been if it had been released on the arcade back then. It would be incredible.

In my case the oscillations appear when I add the original arcade. I hope to find an old version of MAME that runs this game with more difficulty and is balanced with the arcade, without oscillations.

Select tracks and cars at the same time on all PCs.

I don't use front-end. I think it's cooler to customize desktop icons, as you can see.

I'm using Windows 11 on both PCs.

I will need to test four players in the Rock with selecting the track/car/shifter at the same time. Now that you mention it, I think the first times I played 4 players, I always let the countdown go by itself and I didn’t click the pedal to actually select the car or shifter (just highlighted it). That probably kept it more in sync. I think I also separately kept pushing the “radio” button to lower the time left a few times and I believe it still worked with all in sync. I will test some more but 2 players seemed great regardless.

I tested Mame 2049 SE on this (close to) latest Mame version and got disconnects very early on multiple times. However, I went back and read the thread and realized you or others have the same issue in recent Mame versions and instead you have no disconnects on Rush 2049 SE when using mame 0.249. It looks like BigTymers 60fps hack goes back to .239 Mame so I am assuming the .249 was regular Mame and not the hack which I will try. Besides .249 Mame, that is also with the openvpn and tap adapter versions below right where 2049 SE gets no disconnects?

Do first: install "tap-windows-9.24.7-I601-Win10
Do second: OpenVPN-2.6.9-I001-amd64" (other versions didn't work including the latest 2.6.10)
Third: Restart PCs