Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My ISP doesn't allow me to connect to the site, or vice versa  (Read 542 times)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2024, 07:42:16 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
Hi All,

Not sure where to post or whom to tag, but under normal circumstances i cannot access http://forum.arcadecontrols.com without using a VPN, which I don't do all that often. My ISP insists they do not blacklist sites, so i'm wondering if something might be blocked on this end?

Right now my IP address without the VPN is (happy to send via PM), but that will change sometimes when i reconnect. It doesn't seem to matter where i connect to with the VPN, same country, different country, etc. As long as the VPN is on.

Please let me know what extra details i can provide or anything else i can look at :(

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 08:16:12 pm by buttersoft »

Lingwendil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2024, 09:42:56 am
  • Here to check some cool builds out!
Re: My ISP doesn't allow me to connect to the site, or vice versa
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2024, 11:30:37 am »
What browsers have you tested this with?

Is this across multiple devices, or with a single device?

I had a similar issue a while back with another site- I found that it was a browser settings issue issue.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:03:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: My ISP doesn't allow me to connect to the site, or vice versa
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2024, 08:54:58 pm »
What browsers have you tested this with?

Is this across multiple devices, or with a single device?

I had a similar issue a while back with another site- I found that it was a browser settings issue issue.

being that this site works with a VPN i suspect a crappy ISP DNS resolver.

you can test 2 ways, either...

open a command prompt and type... 

ping arcadecontrols.com

it should start returning replies from the site ip address 74.208.43.115. if it does not reply or it times out... type...

ping 74.208.43.115

you should get replies now.

OR you can test by...

open your web browswer and type in "arcadecontrols.com" if it fails, try typing in 74.208.43.115 (arcadecontrols network IP address)

in either case...if you can connect to the ip address but not the URL, change your DNS. your ISP DNS resolver has something messed up. change to cloudflares 1.1.1.1 (1.0.0.1 secondary) or googles 8.8.8.8 (8.8.4.4 secondary) you should change your DNS anyway. ISP's are notorious for blocking stuff and saying they don't and they will also store where you go, cloudflare does not. (google does track, but you can go in your google account and set it to purge it on the regular automatically.)