Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Streamlining Control Mapping for Thousands of Games in MAME  (Read 333 times)

Davetrader2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 08:16:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Streamlining Control Mapping for Thousands of Games in MAME
« on: April 14, 2024, 02:18:02 am »
I'm completely new to this. I've got a 4-player control surface, and I've adjusted the "Input (general)" controls in MAME to prevent any conflicts. Now, I've got around 3000 games on my system, each needing its controls set up separately. I've heard that deleting the "default.cfg" file will prompt MAME to create a new one, resetting controls to MAME's defaults. Does this mean that if I delete the individual .cfg files for each game, they'll automatically use the modified settings from the "default.cfg" file I tweaked? I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to handle this.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:13:06 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Streamlining Control Mapping for Thousands of Games in MAME
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 06:12:33 am »
I've adjusted the "Input (general)" controls in MAME to prevent any conflicts.
Good first step.

I've heard that deleting the "default.cfg" file will prompt MAME to create a new one, resetting controls to MAME's defaults. Does this mean that if I delete the individual .cfg files for each game, they'll automatically use the modified settings from the "default.cfg" file I tweaked?
You've already changed the defaults in the "Input (general)" menu so any game that doesn't have a .cfg file will use the defaults that you set in that menu.
- The only .cfg files you might need to delete are from any games that you remapped before you changed the defaults.

Now, I've got around 3000 games on my system, each needing its controls set up separately.
That's a really long game list.  Consider either using favorites or trimming down the list so you can spend less time scrolling and more time playing.   ;)

Most games will work with the defaults, but there will be some that you will need to configure separately like, for example, Xybots.
- That game used an Atari twist-to-turn joystick.
- I mapped that one on a Joy + 6-button layout like this:

1  2  3
J
     4  5  6

Player button - MAME input
1 - Turn left
2 - Fire
3 - Turn right
4 and Start - Start (Start button triggers Super Zapper during gameplay.  Mapping it to button 4 makes it easy to hit with your thumb during gameplay.)

To map button 4 and Start to one input in the "Input (this game)" menu":
- Highlight the Start input.
- Press ENTER.
- Press player button 4. (MAME maps button 4 to that input)
- Press ENTER.
- Press Start button. (MAME maps button 4 and Start to that input)

You may also want to remap the controls for some 4-player games like The Simpsons and TMNT so the position that players are shown on the screen matches the position where the players are standing.
- I assume your control panel probably has the players  in "3 1 2 4" order instead of "1 2 3 4" order.
- To match player control positions to the player screen positions, map P3 controls to P1 inputs, map P1 controls to P2 inputs, and map P2 controls to P3 inputs.

Scott

Davetrader2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 08:16:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Streamlining Control Mapping for Thousands of Games in MAME
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 08:01:57 pm »
Thanks Scott