Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver and Sony Trinitron outputting 480p instead of 480i  (Read 355 times)

Matty_somer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 01:49:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi everybody,

My first post here so please be gentle  :) I am not overly clued up on running CRT displays on modern hardware, so if anyone is kind enough to reply, please word it in a way a dummy like me can understand  :laugh2:

So I dont have a lot of space in my home for a real arcade machine, so I thought I would make a sorta "Mini arcade" using my PC, Retroarch, and a little Sony Trinitron 14" CRT.

I installed CRT Emudriver as per the instructions, and its outputting a signal OK, but for some unknown reason it is in 480p and not 480i (I dont even really know the difference but im told it should be 480i).

Also the second issue I have, and the one that really bugs me, is the top and bottom of the display are ever so slightly cut off, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I might remedy this issue please?

I note in ArcadeOSD (which i dont really yet understand), the "vertical geometry" option is greyed out, is this perhaps because its outputting 480p instead of 480i?

thanks in advance for your help!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
Re: CRT Emudriver and Sony Trinitron outputting 480p instead of 480i
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 02:03:39 pm »
It is not clear to me that you have a problem.

What OS and video card are you using?

What kind of CRT is your Sony? A VGA monitor or a TV?

How do you connect signal (cables etc.)?

Who told you it should be 480i? Are you sure it is in 480p?

CRT TV's do 480i, but generally can't do 480p at all (except for a few late-era fancy ones). VGA CRT monitors do 480p, not 480i.

Your second issue is just "overscan" - so I guess you probably have a TV. Almost all TVs have overscan, some 2%-7% or so, because it'd look weird if the picture didn't fill the screen. Otherwise people would be complaining about the black borders and "unused screen" around the picture instead. So don't let it bug you, it is normal. Good news is that there are ways to minimise overscan. Hope you have the original remote.

Some pics would help.
Check out my completed projects!

Matty_somer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 01:49:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 04:03:03 pm »
It is not clear to me that you have a problem.

What OS and video card are you using?

What kind of CRT is your Sony? A VGA monitor or a TV?

How do you connect signal (cables etc.)?

Who told you it should be 480i? Are you sure it is in 480p?

CRT TV's do 480i, but generally can't do 480p at all (except for a few late-era fancy ones). VGA CRT monitors do 480p, not 480i.

Your second issue is just "overscan" - so I guess you probably have a TV. Almost all TVs have overscan, some 2%-7% or so, because it'd look weird if the picture didn't fill the screen. Otherwise people would be complaining about the black borders and "unused screen" around the picture instead. So don't let it bug you, it is normal. Good news is that there are ways to minimise overscan. Hope you have the original remote.

Some pics would help.

Hi Zebidee, turns out it IS outputting in 480i after all, I got a bit confused by advice I was given elsewhere.

So I just want to try and minimise the overscan if I can, yes I do have my remote handy.....

Its a little Sony Trinitron KV-14CT1U, im using CRT Emudriver and an R7 200 series, VGA cable into VGA2SCART.

thanks

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 05:20:38 pm »
You'll want to work out how to enter the service menu - this usually requires original remote. So search on that, it must be out there somewhere. Try to find the service manual online. Different TVs have different things, but you may be able to find some geometry adjustments in there.

Many manufacturers used the same codes across their many models, so if you can find a service manual for something close it may work.

Other than that, you can try fiddling the modelines (with arcadeOSD), and/or editing the monitor presets (there is a edit link from within CRT_emudriver's VMMaker). You want to focus on the horizontal front/back porch values.

There is a stickied thread on the monitor presets.

Check out my completed projects!