Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2024 Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy  (Read 725 times)

bimm25e

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:10:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
2024 Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy
« on: March 15, 2024, 09:17:54 pm »
I know i can emulate n64 or psx or dreamcast or ps2 or 3ven xbox.  But I want to play the arcade version.  I am looking at buying a PCB but before I do, what is up with Gauntlet Legends and Dark Legacy in 2024?  Are there people playing  fullspeed?  Is mame++ the answer?  Overclocking? Secret savestate loads to stable seeds? 

Hit me up BYOAC are we playing  GL&DL at full speed yet or is the future not all its cracked up to be?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:11:24 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: 2024 Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 10:45:59 pm »
Do you wanna make out?

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 11:48:01 pm »
I was wondering why it seems like these forums have been dead the last few years.  Good gravy I sent some poor kid here the other day from KLOV.....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 12:00:25 am by bimm25e »

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 03:44:42 am »
pbj doesn't speak for the rest of us - he is just the welcoming committee. Once you get past him it is all gravy here.
Check out my completed projects!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:07:53 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 09:07:18 am »
This place is pretty much dead, kinda shocked PL1 wasn't in here to google  and crush discussion in yet another thread to be honest. PBJ's long running joke of "does it run Gauntlet Legends?" makes his reply pretty funny to me.

Back on topic:

Any moderately recent PC should be able to handle both Legends and Dark Legacy with ease. If you're trying to run it on a pi or something then its not likely.  If you are going to emulate a console version, I like the DC one the best. The only trick I know to make it run better is to change the game config in MAME to run it in standard res instead of medium res.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 10:30:00 am »
I was running it 100% on a $1,500 laptop five years ago, so I imagine anything contemporary will run it now.  We went through years of people selling dogshit used computers on here that they stole from their work dumpster and claiming it and NFL Blitz ran “nearly 100%.”  I’ve been here so long I can remember them claiming the same about MK2 and NBA Jam earlier than that (and also lying).

What killed it for me was Diablo 3 on consoles, which is an excellent couch co op game.  I recently purchased an Xbox Series X to play Diablo 4 and I haven’t been so ---fracking--- mad in years.  Would have been nice if one single review mentioned persistently online and no local four player.

As malenko mentioned, the resolution setting is your biggest performance boost.  The graphics are all late 90s hideous anyway, so medium doesn’t look much better than standard.

:cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 01:31:17 pm »
This place is pretty much dead, kinda shocked PL1 wasn't in here to google  and crush discussion in yet another thread to be honest. PBJ's long running joke of "does it run Gauntlet Legends?" makes his reply pretty funny to me.

Back on topic:

Any moderately recent PC should be able to handle both Legends and Dark Legacy with ease. If you're trying to run it on a pi or something then its not likely.  If you are going to emulate a console version, I like the DC one the best. The only trick I know to make it run better is to change the game config in MAME to run it in standard res instead of medium res.
Agreed - anyone here longer than 10 years would get the joke behind PBJs post. Totally harmless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 02:28:30 pm »
Just kinda felt like i walked into walmart and the greeter licked my hand.  I had to take a shower after

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 02:55:58 pm »
Yeah, sometimes I do leave here feeling a bit like that.

Jokes aside, I am a sucker and sometimes feel sorry for newcomers to our warmly welcoming paradise :D

Last year for giggles, I myself ran Gauntlet Legends at 100% on a 15+ year old computer built out of bits - core2duo E8600 with 4GB RAM, slightly overclocked to a bit over 4Ghz.

For MAME, single/duo core performance is more important than multicore.

As other have mentioned, if you are into that style of gameplay, there are better games. I even prefer original Gauntlet.

bimm25e

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 03:08:31 pm »
Im in it for the memberberries.  Got some 49 way joysticks coming in and im gonna do gpwiz 49's on a 4 player control for a dynamo showcase with the grey tub control panel box for my 4 player hyperspin setup.   Just been something ive been looking to do for a while feeling like its about time.

Whats funnier is my current hyperspin cab has an e8600 (great chip)  dont wanna OC though.  Im gonna move it to a cocktail to run vertical trackball/spinner games and put a 9600k in the showcase now that we cqn run Gauntlet Legends 100% woot!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 03:11:37 pm by bimm25e »

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 05:09:01 pm »
Whats funnier is my current hyperspin cab has an e8600 (great chip)  dont wanna OC though. Im gonna move it to a cocktail to run vertical trackball/spinner games and put a 9600k in the showcase now that we cqn run Gauntlet Legends 100% woot!

Yah, I stopped OCing after the GL experiment - no compelling need for it. That E8600 is in my magenta Aussie lowboy, which I put in the guesthouse.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 11:05:30 pm »
Last year for giggles, I myself ran Gauntlet Legends at 100% on a 15+ year old computer built out of bits - core2duo E8600 with 4GB RAM, slightly overclocked to a bit over 4Ghz.

I always regret taking you off ignore.  This is 100% BS unless newer versions of mame run retroactively better on old hardware.  I was cash in hand for years around here for a setup that could run it 100%. 

I never did own a Gauntlet Legends boardset, but I did have NFL Blitz.  Paid about $65 shipped for the boards, wiring harness, joysticks, and marquee.  Those were the days.  I switched it over to fresh 8 way joysticks and never really noticed a difference.  I will never stand in the way of throwing money after recapturing memories but you may be surprised on that front.

:cheers:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 11:57:30 pm »

I always regret taking you off ignore.  This is 100% BS unless newer versions of mame run retroactively better on old hardware.  I was cash in hand for years around here for a setup that could run it 100%. 

I think that's the first time you've quoted me, so I've achieved something I guess. You've also posted more than just a pithy one-liner. You really are breaking the mold today.

You've always seemed more obsessed with my groin than actually having anything useful to say. Wanna make out? You really are a loser.

At least your Sega stuff is interesting, otherwise I'd ignore you completely. Not block or "ignore", sometimes you say some dumass stuff that makes you worth laughing at.

Yes I ran GL at 100% - no frames dropped, no sound stuttering. I did mention that I was overclocking. I played for a while, it was fine but I got bored. Much like this thread, until you made it interesting by having a go at me. Loser.

:oldman